Daily water changes

finaddict

(edited)

So I have to put a gallon of fresh water into my sump every night due to evaporation. My thought is to put in one gallon of fresh into the return pump chamber.... siphon out one gallon of tank water from the skimmer chamber... and then add a gallon of salt back in.... effectively doing a one gallon per day water change.... after time it seems this would be the best way to keep all parameters stable. I have about 80-85 gallons of total water volume in my system.  What do you think?

Edited by finaddict

If you do it in that order and allow the freshwater to distribute before drawing out the gallon of tank water, it'll be as good as it can be (mathematically speaking). If you draw that gallon out (step 2) before you allow the freshwater to distribute, you'll (again, mathematically speaking) be drawing water out that is slightly higher in salinity than what you're replacing it with, ultimately drawing your salinity downward over the long haul. Keep in mind, though, that you need to be precise when topping off your water so that it matches evaporation.

However, unless the tank is rather small, the net downward trend will be small and can be corrected from time to time by adding a bit of saltwater to the tank in lieu of freshwater for topoff.

If you don't already have an automatic topoff system, you really should get one. It's the first bit of automation that really pays back in reducing the daily chore-level and keeps parameters stable as well.