Help with flow

Sharkey18

I am looking for suggestions to increase the flow in 250g bare bottom tank. The tank is 5.5 ft x 3 ft x 26". 

I have gone through many configurations which have always failed to keep most of the detritus suspended. I need to make improvements. 

I currently have 2 Maxspect gyre XF280's on the back wall. One bottom left, one bottom right. They do a good job of keeping most of the detritus off of the bottom, except that they push everything to the front where is mostly just sits there. I also have a small gyre, an Mp40 and Tunze that I kind of move around to assist, but I would love to add some thing to help get a significant portion of the remaining detritus into the water column for removal. 

Suggestions? 

IMG_1051.HEICIMG_1051.HEICIMG_2922.HEICIMG_3535.

I've found that whatever flow I thought was strong enough in my nano, wasn't. Now I have x2 MP10's at almost full speed in sync, plus the return. I think no matter what, you'll always have a spot that detritus will settle in. 

(edited)

Ok. Left side, Right side and Full Tank Shot. The Gyres and are behind the islands. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Sharkey18

I know it’s expensive but a few MP40’s and an MP60 will rock that tank. Get rid of the gyres. Just my opinion. 

Or or a couple of tunze 6105’s or bigger if you can hide the wires

Cool. That exactly what I'm looking for. Suggestions.

Where would you put the MP40's and 60? 

I would center an MP40 on either short side and the center an MP60 along the back wall in between your rock structures

I have a 165 gallon display. I’m using two mp40s and two wavs. Using the wavs since I have an apex and found a good deal on them. Money not an issue I like the mp40s. Mine are placed higher and hit the glass and blow forward down. Rock work with plenty of empty space in the back. I don’t know what I’ll do when I start growing larger colonies and probably redesign.

Considerations: I have gentle flow in the day something around 10% different pulses, I do a hard tidal swell and varying strength to something like 75% max pulsing varied settings at night for a couple hours.

b65e283c9c0a59aeafbf4b421470986e.jpg

Wow! Thats a lot of flow!  Obviously mine is lacking. 

Thanks for the photo of your setup. It looks awesome. I can't wait for it to grow in. 

I'm definitely going to put something on the back to blow forward. 

Laura

until you get the MP40’s in there, I would run the 60 of one of the short sides and move the gyre to the center of the back wall. Once u get the 40’s, put one on the short and one on the back wall. 

I think someone was selling their Reeflink on the forum. That will help immensely to automate randomize things in the tank. 

May I suggest placing one of the MP40s in the lower mid range of one of the sides? That with a randomized flow should move up whatever has been building up in there. Note that the MP40s create a wide-conical (three dimensional) flow; and with enough power it can turn water around in the tank easily. 

ecopumps1.jpg

I have a reef link. My issue is that the darn thing never stays connected!  

I have 1 MP40 (old not programmable) I am going to put on one side and I was thinking of putting the Mp60 on the back. Do you think I should try the side instead? 

Also, what about the rockwogk blocking flow from the sides? How does a large pile of rock just 14 inches from the source affect the flow? All the photos and simulations show the flow / gyres in empty tanks, which I find pretty useless. We need to know the best placement with real stuff in the way since that is what most of us have. I don't want to point it directly at the rocks cause I want to run it high to create a lot of flow. 

Laura 

you might just have to play around with placement. If your rock structures block the path of the flow across the front of the tank, you could always put the MP60 centered low on the back wall and turn it up. The flow will bounce off the front glass and the rock structures. 

Depending on the flow patterns you set it for will depend on how the flow reacts based off of the structures and the front glass pane. Just make sure you don’t put it to high on the back pane as to not cause the water to come over top of the tank and cause a spill :)

those MP60’s kick out some serious water 

Yeah that's what I am going to do. I'm going to start with the MP60 on the back wall, see if I can get it to bounce off the front and lift up the debris on the bottom front. I'm going to reposition the MP40 on the side so that it is a little forward of the rock piles. When I have some more cash, I'll add another MP40 to the other end and see what I get! 

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the help.