Jump to content
Yachaq

Painting AI Hydra 52s: Crazy idea?

9 posts / 121 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I got some used AI Hydra 52s. They seem to work but but their colors have changed overtime. As they are no longer white, I was thinking about the possibility of taking them apart and painting the plastic casing with heat resistant paint. Is this a crazy idea? I am concerned about paint flakes getting into the water later in the future. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’d be fine


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home depot sells spray paint that is heat resistant, for things like grills. I would imagine with the proper application and dry time, it would be completely fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Home depot sells spray paint that is heat resistant, for things like grills. I would imagine with the proper application and dry time, it would be completely fine. 

I noticed it, however, I wonder how well it will adhere to plastic....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Yachaq said:

I noticed it, however, I wonder how well it will adhere to plastic....

 

 

I'm not an expert, but I imagine if could cling to a metal surface, it will do just fine with a plastic surface. You could always get some light grit sandpaper and rough it up mildly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is easy to do, but hard to make “perfect”.

Sand with 120 grit paper, so the paint can adhere.

Use krylon spray paint for plastic. It’s not “high temp” but it’ll be fine for the temps we’re talking about. Definite below 120°. And it’s reef safe.

Start with two-three super light coats and let dry. Then sand with 220 grit sandpaper in between 2-3 moderate coats. Not heavy (dripping) or light (dusting). Let dry completely.

Top it off with krylon clear coat in the finish of your choice (matte, gloss, whatever). Again, sand in between coats.

Consistency in your coats is the hard part for a perfectly smooth surface.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sneeze said:

This is easy to do, but hard to make “perfect”.

Sand with 120 grit paper, so the paint can adhere.

Use krylon spray paint for plastic. It’s not “high temp” but it’ll be fine for the temps we’re talking about. Definite below 120°. And it’s reef safe.

Start with two-three super light coats and let dry. Then sand with 220 grit sandpaper in between 2-3 moderate coats. Not heavy (dripping) or light (dusting). Let dry completely.

Top it off with krylon clear coat in the finish of your choice (matte, gloss, whatever). Again, sand in between coats.

Consistency in your coats is the hard part for a perfectly smooth surface.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the instructions. I will give it a try soon and post results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...