A Very Profishional Build Thread (Megan's 40g Reef)

(edited)

UPDATE 7/5/19

Well it finally happened to me, the hobbyist's worst nightmare. I came home last night to a crack down the side of the tank, about 15 gallons of water missing, and some very unhappy animals. 

Luckily, I was able to salvage a lot. There wasn't any serious damage to the flooring or walls, none of my electrical stuff got shorted, and I was able to evacuate just about everything to the shop until I get this sorted out. The only losses were my midas blenny, and my possum wrasse is missing (there's a small chance he's alive and just crammed into one of my rocks, but I'm not optimistic at this point). Amazingly, all my corals are fine, including the ones that were out of water for a bit. The leak must have only started an hour or two before I got back. Let me say, I've never been more thankful to work at a store 10 minutes from home, otherwise I might have lost everything. 

Obviously, the tank is a write-off. I'm disappointed, mostly because literally 24 hours prior I had finally installed my second Kessil and was going to start securing my frags in the final stage of the scaping. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't yet. I also really liked how the tank was set up and running, all the hardware was great and it was the perfect shape and layout I needed. 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do going forward. I still plan on going to FragFest, and I'm reluctant to sell my livestock since I've amassed a nice collection of corals and I'm in love with all my fish. But I'm at the point where we may be moving to a new house in the next 6-9 months and I'm not sure I want to try and set up a tank again only to break it down so soon. The best thing I have for a leading plan right now is boarding my livestock wherever I can, and accumulate the pieces to a new setup that I'll actually assemble when we move. I'm still kind of processing everything right now. I know I'm lucky and that it could have gone a lot worse, but that doesn't change the fact that I lost two months of work and several hundred dollars thanks to what looks like a fluke. The best theory I have is that maybe the yoga mat I put underneath as a leveling pad wasn't adequate, but from what I've heard about un-leveled rimless tanks, they tend to explode rather than have a single crack. 

If anyone has any suggestions or feedback I'd be happy to hear it. If I do replace the tank part of me wants to just contact Cobalt and see if they can sell me just the tank and nothing else, since I still have all the working hardware. I don't know if there are similar AIOs out there, but I'm open to alternatives. In my current space I'm limited to essentially a 40 breeder layout, although for a future setup I may be able to do a larger tank with a sump. 

---------------------------------

It's finally happening! After one too many fissues (fish issues) with my nano tank, I did what I tell everyone else to do and bought a bigger tank. Everything fell into place pretty nicely, so it was clearly a sign to dive in to such a project. My end goal is a tank that will satisfy my need for a salty setup (at least one...for now...) and allow me to grow out my favorite corals. So, zoas and mushrooms pretty much.

Cool Stats for Nerds

-Tank: Cobalt C-Vue 40g, bought used but in very nice shape.

-Filtration: stock Cobalt return pumps (love the dual return already), dual InTank media baskets. Exact media setup still being figured out.

-Skimmer: CADLights PLS-50 Elite II skimmer (came with the tank)

-Heating: Aqueon Pro 100 (considering adding an additional 50w as backup)

-Lighting: 2x Kessil 160E w/ Spectral controller. 

-Substrate: Fiji Pink AragAlive (the classic)

-Lid: I think it's the stock lid, but what matters is that it's absolutely airtight over the part where fish go, so no carpet surfing allowed.

-Rocks: Lots. 

Current stock (7/5/19):

-Ocellaris clown pair (Mocha x Black Photon): Vicky and Vance

-Yellow Coris Wrasse: Banana Man

-Wheeler Goby M&F pair: Huff and Puff

-Neon Blue/Allen's Damsel: no name earned yet

-Emerald Crabs: Cornelia and Marie

-Fighting Conchs: Gary and Missilelauncher

-Pencil Urchin: Pence-a-gram

-An assortment of snails including Beyblade and Beyblade Jr. the Star Astreas, and a handful of banded trochus and astreas

-3-4x Scarlet Hermits

-A large assortment of zoas and mushrooms

Future?

-Kamohara Blenny (or other fang species)

-Undecided combtooth/rock blenny

-ORA Hybrid Neon Goby pair

R.I.P

-Midas Blenny: Flop

-Yellow-Band Possum Wrasse: Worm-on-a-String

I'm already thinking about adding a really simple 'fuge in one of the filter compartments, since after the two baskets and the skimmer I'll have an empty one, and I'm always okay with growing pods. Only other fish I'm considering down the line is a mandarin, because I can't say no to pinchy mouths and pretty colors. Not in the immediate future though. 

The Building (T-minus zero!)

20190513_204145.jpg?width=1043&height=58

Please note the tasteful Walmart tablecloth I utilized as a drip shield/salt creep deterrent. Next place I live is *not* being carpeted, that's for sure. Also shoutout to Zach for letting me borrow a pair of the company Giant Tank-Moving Suction Cup Handles, which made bringing this monster up the stairs so much easier.

20190513_214059.jpg?width=1043&height=587

Yummy yummy silt! After cracking open the return pumps so I could attack them with a cleaning brush, sliding the heater into just the right spot, spending way too long fiddling with the terrible rat's nest that is my wiring, and closing my eyes...we're powered up and running! The floating cup contains one (1) naughty pistol shrimp who hid in the rocks that I cleaned out from the old tank and therefore didn't get taken to work along with all my other livestock for a couple days' vacation until the tank was cycled. He had to stay in baby jail overnight.

20190514_120950.jpg?width=1043&height=587

Behold my skilled and masterful aquascaping! I'd like to thank my late-evening tiredness for the design inspiration. 

What will my scape actually look like? Will I get that second Kessil? How long until the fish get to finally come home?

Tune in next week for another thrilling episode of Profishional Tank Time!

Edited by MeganTheProfishional

That’s a beautiful tank, nice grab

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Also we may have a slight bump in the road so far...I've realized this tank doesn't have a mat underneath, which is Not Great for a rimless tank. Guess we're going to have a quick adventure in draining and rock juggling tomorrow so I can slip something underneath. Unless anyone has suggestions/input with rimless stuff? I've heard plenty of bad stuff about rimless tanks without pads getting all explode-y after a while.

Nice tank you got there. You can get a cheap black yoga mat at five below and cut it to size if you don't want to drop $20+ for an 'aquarium leveling mat.' I have a lagoon 25 and it works fine under it. It'd probably be fine with the blanket, but why risk it when you technically don't have anything in there to kill yet?

35 minutes ago, rt502 said:

Nice tank you got there. You can get a cheap black yoga mat at five below and cut it to size if you don't want to drop $20+ for an 'aquarium leveling mat.' I have a lagoon 25 and it works fine under it. It'd probably be fine with the blanket, but why risk it when you technically don't have anything in there to kill yet?

What a great suggestion! I would layer it with a yoga mat since they tend to be on the cheaper side of cushioning. 

Was the rock dry live? I am curious about the curing time frame since I will be setting my Reefer 170 up soon. Are you planning on using any additives to speed the cycle up?

Also, what does your SUMP look like?

Tagging along!

Matt

Thanks for the feedback y'all, I think I have a yoga mat lying around that I'll happily sacrifice for the Greater Good. 

My rock is actually all pre-cured I guess, since about half came from another member's tank breakdown and half from the shop, where all our stuff tends to come from established tanks as well. The only rock we've actually ordered any time lately has been RealReef stuff. Perks of working for a service company! Everything else was just the live sand and the media from my existing tank that I'm upgrading from.

20190515_182909.jpg?width=1043&height=587

Operation Un-heck This Tank went off almost without a hitch! Well, one or two hitches. That thing was really heavy. But then I got to do the fun part

20190515_193911.jpg?width=1043&height=587

Scape time! I may or may not be adding a really sweet centerpiece rock that's being stored at work since it also has an RFA hanging out on it, but I'm honestly digging the look as it is already. Focus was on plenty of space to grow softies, as well as plenty of hiding spots for all the gobies and friends. Also I had to make sure everything was stable, since I am planning on a shrimp/goby pair, and I don't need them knocking anything over. Thankfully all the rock I had was pretty sturdy, and I gave everything a good weight-test to make sure it was well in place and also hitting the sandbed so future sand removal doesn't collapse stuff.

Now I just have to put all that water back and wait for it to settle, then we can add lights and skimmer! I was able to shove a few leftover rock pieces in one of the media baskets for extra biofiltration space. Still need to get me some good pads and maybe another sack of chemi-pure or some GFO or something...I already suspect I may be bringing over some algae from the previous setup so I want to nip that in the bud early if possible. 

Also wouldn't mind some feedback on my stocking plans, I know all the fish I'm going for are pretty hardy, and since they're a lot of little guys I don't think I'd be pushing it too much. After the initial few guys I plan on introducing one or two at a time, slowly. Next priority will probably be the goby/gobies so that my pistol can have a friend and they can do a little sand work. 

I'm so jealous! Where did you find a c-vue 40 used?! I can barely find them new now!

I am a BIG fan of 40 breeders but have been really loving this Nuvo 20. Was thinking the c-vue 40 is the perfect compromise.... That is, if I don't set the 40 back up, though I likely will.

-A-a-ron

(edited)
18 hours ago, MeganTheProfishional said:

20190515_182909.jpg?width=1043&height=587

Operation Un-heck This Tank went off almost without a hitch! Well, one or two hitches. That thing was really heavy. But then I got to do the fun part

20190515_193911.jpg?width=1043&height=587

Scape time! I may or may not be adding a really sweet centerpiece rock that's being stored at work since it also has an RFA hanging out on it, but I'm honestly digging the look as it is already. Focus was on plenty of space to grow softies, as well as plenty of hiding spots for all the gobies and friends. Also I had to make sure everything was stable, since I am planning on a shrimp/goby pair, and I don't need them knocking anything over. Thankfully all the rock I had was pretty sturdy, and I gave everything a good weight-test to make sure it was well in place and also hitting the sandbed so future sand removal doesn't collapse stuff.

Now I just have to put all that water back and wait for it to settle, then we can add lights and skimmer! I was able to shove a few leftover rock pieces in one of the media baskets for extra biofiltration space. Still need to get me some good pads and maybe another sack of chemi-pure or some GFO or something...I already suspect I may be bringing over some algae from the previous setup so I want to nip that in the bud early if possible. 

Looking good! I actually like this version better than the original arrangement; especially am loving the branches on the left side of the tank and LMAO for that cacti pattern tablecloth! Cracks me up ever time!

I think someone was selling some GFO on here, I would suggest looking in the trade/sell forum.  Here it is: 

When are you adding the livestock?

Edited by Reefoholic
added a webpage link

Personally I would try and get rid of some of the rock. I like the over all shape of that you're going for!

Livestock will hopefully come in on Sunday/Monday. I've used so much pre-established stuff I'm hopeful the cycling won't take long.

Glad to hear the scaling looks good, I honestly had very little sure idea except that I wanted lots of flat space for coral growing and tons of hidey holes. Shoutout to @Big Sarge 81

sold me a bunch of this rock, including all the cool branch bits

Big update posted. I might put some pictures of the tank as it was up here, just so everyone can see how far it came from scratch. Still a little too soon for me, though.

Well I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get my hands on another one of these setups, let alone just the tank, so right now it's undecided.

Sorry to hear about your tank glad you were able to save most of your livestock! Does Cobalt advise placing a mat under their tanks? I only ask because I have read a few times certain Marineland rimless cubes that Marineland recommended not placing a mat underneath. I spent entirely to much time reading about this all a month or so ago with my tank. I recall most rimless tanks dont actually even need support under the front panel because the sides take the beating. I would guess honestly there was some amount of stress put on that panel by a previous owner  ,a defect or something hit the glass like a rock falling or something. But the pressure points potentially from the tank not being flush on the stand could cause all sorts of weird things. I would also be curious as to how it was kept by the previous owner.  Yours being a crack and not a seam blowout is really weird.