What K do you think is this?

Still_human

(edited)

What would anybody consider this lighting to be? I feel like it's about 12,000K. It's come up sometimes, trying to explain to someone what I'm looking for, but would like to try to be sure Im not giving the wrong idea. This is pretty much the lighting appearance Ive been hoping to get in my tank, but is starting to seem impossible with anything but the super expensive LEDs, which is why my plan is to just go back to T5s.

*those are radion gen 4. I can't afford that range of fixtures

IMG_9712.PNG

Edited by Still_human

You can buy inexpensive LED’s and make it any color you want. You just need to play with the brightness of the white/blue ratios. It’s much easier with the higher priced stuff. But it can be done with lower prices stuff like the ocean revive T247’s. Those are about $200/each. 

In in my opinion, 12k is very yellow and you get good growth however the coral isn’t as pleasing to the eye. I personally like 18-20k look which gives good growth and the coral looks like it’s  on fire. 

I feel like my tank looks like that towards the evening time when it's ramping down (I have a radion g3 non-pro xr30w). I'll double check my time and see what spectrum ecosmart says it is. I bought my light used and it was very affordable. I've seen a few of them hit the for sale boards anywhere from $200-300.

-A-a-ron

Go look at a 12k halide lit tank, and you will change your opinion on that led lit tank looking 12k. I would consider that tank 20k. 

Peoples views seem to have shifted over time, to where 12k is now slightly blue and 20k is windex blue. I think of 12k as more yellow/white (natural sun), and 20k more light blue (thinking like T5 blue+ or halide SE radium).

That's just me of course.

It's impossible to judge from the picture because everyones monitors are drastically different in what they display. Couple with the settings the camera was using, it's even worse. My opinion, 10-14k shows very little yellow tint and everything above that is extremely blue and hides way too much detail in the fish and corals that dont fluoresce as much (great for anything with green in though). I tried the AB+ on the Radions and hated it. A blue sky is roughly 10,000k. 

Depends on who you ask. 10-14k is yellowish. My 20k halides don’t wash out color and is a light blue. When they’re off t5 blue plus does as a deep blue. Ive used blue plus mixed with coral plus to get a nice mix not too dark as well. I don’t like a total “black light” effect.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:04 PM, BtmDweller said:

57cd979437b2fdcab011afc0ef825ebb.jpg

e5747ece387eecf47c89cc9f966ebc8c.jpg

20k halides without t5. My glass is dirty though.

Wow, really??? Yeah, I'm way off! I used to use halides, and I always felt like 10k was just BARELY yellow, but 12-14 was a nice white-blue, and 20k was like almost pure actinic looking--dark blue "blacklight effect", as mentioned. It's been quite awhile, tho....probably 10years. I'd go back to halides, but it heats my room up WAY too much. I have a Solaris i5, and just bought a vertex illumina a bit ago, which although I'm pretty sure aren't top of the line, I believed fairly expensive, high quality systems, but I can't get either to give off nice lighting(I'll take pictures tomorrow of the vertex, which is what's up right now). I can get any hue from yellow to super blue, but said color only gets bright and intense with the whites at very high to maximum strength, which in turn gives it an unpleasant slightly yellowish white. Ive tried every combination of white/blue/royal blue, and nothing looks good. What's worse is that all my corals are very dull looking, despite most with a potentially intense glow under good lighting. If the light was gross but the corals looked good, I might be willing to unhappily settle, but the light is all around.......well....it's just plain "Blah"!