Recovering a Fungia

Chaskid

Hi all

I am trying to nurse this Fungia (plate coral) back to health. It suffered some die off from being covered by lots of sand and algae after neglecting my tank for a while. Last Saturday’s presentation gave me a lot of hope and thus why I am asking for the best course of action here. I was thinking I should trim the dead skeleton but am not 100% sure.

Is Nikki (Reefdup) in the house?

a6a25070b31ba6f87390f8d2280a0a20.jpg

I'm no expert, but you'd imagine the flesh would grow over the skeleton if it was free of that alage. I would lightly use a toothbrush to clean it and then stable water paramaters/monitoring. I also use Revive dip when I'm done fragging/cleaning anything up, but can't tell you if that's helpful or not. 

I'm no expert, but you'd imagine the flesh would grow over the skeleton if it was free of that alage. I would lightly use a toothbrush to clean it and then stable water paramaters/monitoring. I also use Revive dip when I'm done fragging/cleaning anything up, but can't tell you if that's helpful or not. 

Thanks for your response. I used a toothbrush before but still hasn’t grown much. What I’m wondering is if I have to cut the dead skeleton off or if I have to smooth it so it grows easier? Not sure if a fungia is able to grow it back.

I had a Fungia that was starting to die. It had a few of the skeletal ridges exposed. After of few months of target feeding the Fungia was back to normal. I would keep the skeleton and see if it eventually grows back.

One of my fungia survived my recent issue.. as long as the mouth accepts food your ok. Keep parameters stable and ensure the mouth manages to eat and no CUC members take food out of mouth as this can damage that critical part. Once you feed every 2-3 days you should see skin start taking over the skeleton again, if you have no more mouth hope is lost.... My fungia went to 1/5th of flesh left and has recovered to maybe 1/4th at this point. The good sign is if they get bubbly and extend, if its not extending its not doing well.

If it dies keep skeleton in the tank as it may sprout zombie babies.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences guys. I will move it downstairs so that I can spot feed it and nurse it. What should I be feeding it? Mysis Ok?

Thanks again

• 5 months later...

Ugh, I never saw this. Sorry! PM's are best for me. How did it turn out?

I was recently shown wrong on Fungia! I've been saying for 12+ years that Fungia won't grow back from a coralline-covered skeleton... that there had to be some amount of tissue left. I was absolutely wrong. 

I had a Fungia that I took in, knowing I couldn't save it, back in January. Of course, it died, down to a snow white skeleton and no sign of tissue. I didn't check with a microscope, but I did check with a UV pen. No sign of tissue. So, I left it in the tank. 

Today... wow... coralline covered and all... there are several specs of Fungia growing back. 

Bottom line... I hope you have some luck later even if it initially died.

20191024_191703.jpg

20191024_191613.jpg

Thats awesome! ^ I had a blasto that was just skeleton(got squashed.... rip). No tissue or nothing for a few months but I left it there because a feather duster was on it. And now 3 months later its started to grow tissue back rather quickly. I knew it was possible but never thought it would happen.