My wife and I are going to be vacationing in the US Virgin Islands in early May and are looking for opinions / experience of the best locations for snorkeling (or places to avoid). :scuba: We're staying on St. Thomas (near Coki Bay) and plan to make at least one one day trip to St. John, possibly one to Buck Island, and probably one day trip to the British Virgin Islands. We've got the typical travel books and done some looking on line but would like some advice from experienced folks on the best places to snorkel. We're planning to operate mainly from the shore / beach vice a tour operator's boat, unless there are places (such as Buck Island) that we can't get to any other way. 

In particular, I used to have St. Thomas mushrooms in two of my tanks (courtesy of Jan's group buys), and would like to see them in the wild. I would also like to see sea horses and gorgonians. So if anyone knows good places where those could be found, that would be especially appreciated. Thanks in advance! :bluefish:

Edited by LCDRDATA
thought of additional point

I was in BVI two years ago before the hurricane hit. Richard Branson sunk a boat with a Kraken near Virgin Gorda. Snorkelers and Divers were not allowed at the time because it was still settling.  We stayed at Scrub Island and were able to kayak regularly to the reefs from the hotel. The Baths is nice tourist heavy but great rock formations to see and swim around. Also there is a string of small islands that includes Norman island that has great reefs to visit.

Wow, I usually don’t really hear of too many people that even know of the Virgin Islands, much less travels there!  I’m from St.Croix and can personally recommend Buck Island if you are looking for snorkel locations.  It is one of the few places that you can still see Elkhorns in all their glory.  Since you are staying in St.Thomas, this will however take a plane ride (preferably the seaplane) to St.Croix then you will need to charter a boat to Buck Island.  St.Croix is however a little more isolated.  St.Thomas on the other hand is a ferry ride away from numerous cays and small islands as well as the BVI.  I have been to the Baths in Virgin Gorda, and would also recommend it as a tourist attraction.  I went with a “friends” and was more interested in socializing than really checking out the underwater life.  The caves there are however pretty neat as they are literally on the shore and you will have to wade through waist deep water to make it through the caves to the other beach. (This is all bringing back so many memories)

Ever since leaving for college, I haven’t really been to the VI as much as I would like, but I think they may still have a submarine that does dives off the coast of St.Thomas.

1 hour ago, DFR said:

I’m from St.Croix and can personally recommend Buck Island if you are looking for snorkel locations.  It is one of the few places that you can still see Elkhorns in all their glory.  Since you are staying in St.Thomas, this will however take a plane ride (preferably the seaplane) to St.Croix then you will need to charter a boat to Buck Island. ... I have been to the Baths in Virgin Gorda, and would also recommend it as a tourist attraction.

I think I'm moving Buck Island up the list. I've seen a couple listings for tours there from St. Thomas, although I think those are via boat vs. seaplane. Virgin Gorda is sounding better, too. Any ideas on where to find those mushrooms? Thanks! :bluefish:

On 4/19/2019 at 11:43 PM, KingOfAll_Tyrants said:

Thanks for this thread.  If I'm able to escape to the USVI anytime soon I will keep this in mind.......

You're very welcome. We had a trip planned several years ago that we ended up having to cancel at the last minute, and this is the first chance we've had to try again. I just hope I can find those mushrooms ... :scuba::bluefish:

7 hours ago, LCDRDATA said:

I just hope I can find those mushrooms ... :scuba::bluefish:

I would research their natural depth and environment to help narrow your search,

We went to St John a few years ago and have had the best snorkeling there. It was absolutely great. Even swam with a giant Ray. It was the bay where the eco tents were. dont remember the name. Thought it was going to eat me when it opened its mouth to feed.

Wanted to go back there a few years ago, but after Maria blew through and took all the leaves off all the trees there (no joke, look at the sat images), not sure how the reefs were affected or how much the island has recovered since

8 hours ago, Jon Lazar said:

I would research their natural depth and environment to help narrow your search,

I've tried, but haven't had any luck. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms or looking in the right places, but "Caribbean / St. Thomas" is about the level of detail I can find (which really isn't any help). :why:

• 1 month later...

How did the trip go? Several years ago I camped at Cinnamon Bay on St John and the snorkelling was fantastic in several locations around the island. I am longing to go back, but I don't know if they have recovered from the hurricane yet. Please let me know what you found there!