Lights for a Reefer 350

Yachaq

Hi all,

What is your suggestion for LED driven lights in a Reefer 350 (47"X20") in a mixed tank with SPS predominance? Can you keep SPS corals at 12 inches of depth?

I have been looking at multiple sources of information but at this point, but I feel I am missing accounts of personal experience from fellow reefers.

Looking forward to read your comments.

Mainly depends on your price point. If you have the $$ I would suggest radions. I have those on my tank and it’s 22” deep and I can grow SPS on the sandbed. If your on a budget you can go with ocean revive T247’s which I also use and they work great for a budget but don’t have a ton of bells and whistles. 

On 4/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, epleeds said:

Mainly depends on your price point. If you have the $$ I would suggest radions. I have those on my tank and it’s 22” deep and I can grow SPS on the sandbed. If your on a budget you can go with ocean revive T247’s which I also use and they work great for a budget but don’t have a ton of bells and whistles. 

Thanks epleeds. I am trying to decide between Radion or Kessil.... I feel that I can wait a little more before pulling the trigger to get a better system, instead of buying cheaper lights and loosing money later in the exchange.

I’ve seen some awesome tanks on the 247’s, black box LEDs. You don’t need to compromise quality for price here imo. However, kessil and radions will come with clean (and outrageously overpriced) mounting options. I’m running a custom built LED from@alanm and at the end of the day, it’s strong light, it grows things.

0114bdd7b0761d1e35a535998fbc9716.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

I’ve seen some awesome tanks on the 247’s, black box LEDs. You don’t need to compromise quality for price here imo. However, kessil and radions will come with clean (and outrageously overpriced) mounting options. I’m running a custom built LED from@alanm and at the end of the day, it’s strong light, it grows things.

0114bdd7b0761d1e35a535998fbc9716.jpg

First of all, that tank looks great!!!

The hard part for me is to make a decision between the multiple offers out there based on pictures, low quality youtube videos and "unbiased" reviews. I assume that similarly to looking at a piece of art, the in-person experience is incomparable to seeing something in a screen, and this allows people to decide between one brand or another as they progress in the hobby. I just want to avoid changing equipment as much as possible, but maybe that is just a naive thought :).

I’m sure there are members near you that have the radions or the Kessil’s that you can see in person. Your more then welcome to make the trip down to me to see my radions but I’m not very close to u.  :)

First of all, that tank looks great!!!
The hard part for me is to make a decision between the multiple offers out there based on pictures, low quality youtube videos and "unbiased" reviews. I assume that similarly to looking at a piece of art, the in-person experience is incomparable to seeing something in a screen, and this allows people to decide between one brand or another as they progress in the hobby. I just want to avoid changing equipment as much as possible, but maybe that is just a naive thought .

What Eric said, you can look at members tanks in person and make some educated decisions. Cheaper doesn’t always mean replacement more often, in fact, I’ve had the opposite experience, but that’s just me.

Thank you all for the great advice. I love being part of such an engaging community.

It would be great to see some fellow reefers setups to better make an informed decision. I can bring ____________ (fill in the blank: cookies, coffee, beer, wine, etc.) :)

Funny, I'm thinking about this same thing, except for a potential 250.   

Honestly, doing some reading I'm sort of thinking on jumping on the MH/T5 bandwagon. (Hamliton 36" 1 MH/4T5 combo)   I have kessils now; they're OK but I'm not too thrilled about them for acro growth.  The measured PAR has never been great, and the narrow led area allegedly can cause shading. (which I think I see in some of my acros, but that may just be confirmation bias)  However, they grow war corals, softies, zoas perfectly fine, and even though I want to transition to an shallow acro heavy tank, I'm not sure that I'm not just chasing some sort of unobtanium.     

I've also looked at the orphek strip lights.   Those are pretty cool looking LEDs, and I would be lying if I didn't say I'm considering those.  

@YHSublime's pic of  @AlanM's light is pretty cool.  And I can attest, first hand, that @epleeds tank is awesome and grows a good number of acros quite well.   

Edited by KingOfAll_Tyrants