Keeping stainless steel rust free?

dpassar12

(edited)

Any tips for keeping stainless fragging tools free of rust? I wash with freshwater after use and still get rust on some of my stainless tools.

Edited by dpassar12

I’d just continue your freshwater rinses then dry the tools.  Saltwater is mildly corrosive so just using your tools in it will eventually promote rust.

Buy better stainless steel tools.  Good stainless doesn't "hardly" rust.  Cheaper stuff or anything from China does.  Stainless is made from a few different metals and iron is the cheapest so the stuff with the most iron in it rusts. 

Stainless steel doesn't mean it won't corrode. It just "stains less". :)

It has been a while since I've dealt with material selection in a saline environment, but I think 316L is a fairly decent choice if memory isn't failing me. It would need to be passivated. So, good luck finding that, or any frag tools that'll actually tell you the metal and post-processing.

Made in America or made anywhere else may or may not be better than the other. A lot of our metals come from other countries, and most places won't pay for certified metals (to US standards). American machining may be better, but the material may still be the same.

You can find a few frag tools that are powder coated, but the powder tends to chip off. The corrosion then occurs under the powder where you can't address the corrosion anymore. I'm not a fan.

I'd just avoid prolonged exposure to bleach and saltwater. Rinse well. I usually clean mine with vinegar, but I think citric acid may work as well. I keep mine in a pouch with a desiccant. I'm sure there's some sort of water displacement lubricant that is reef safe and compatible with stainless, but I'm out of top-of-my-head thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I’ve been happy with a pair of BRS cutters purchased. Only had them for six months but rise and dried several times and no rust yet.

dd111ad87930e01c6358b22e15e83dce.jpg
The large one is ecotech. The small is BRS. They are 4 years old or so. Occasionally I have to run hot water over them and work them hard and fast to loosen them up from all the rust. We put the stuff in a bad corrosive environment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk