Rio pump danger???

Still_human

I just found a nice rio 2500 pump in a box of inherited equipment, and while looking it up am seeing some horror stories about rio pumps(or at least certain models?), from electrocuting everything in the water, to burning out/melting/cooking the tank. Does anyone know about this? Does anyone know where it would say UL listed on the pump, if it is? Sadly I realize that I had also bought one(haven't used it yet) awhile back because it was what was pictured with the Berlin X2 skimmer I have (not used yet), that after a long time of searching and emailing, even the Red Sea company, couldn't find a single word anywhere about what kind/how strong a pump to use with the skimmer, and eventually figured out what pump was included in the "pump included" box. Now I'm really worried about using them, brand new or old.

I had one for quite a few years with no issues.  I don’t remember the model but it must’ve displaced ~1000gph.  In hindsight, that pump was pretty abused as it frequently ran low enough to where it was pumping bubbles, and I would only clean it about once a year.  

If you do decide to use it, just keep up on maintenance so you can catch issues early.

6 minutes ago, DFR said:

I had one for quite a few years with no issues.  I don’t remember the model but it must’ve displaced ~1000gph.  In hindsight, that pump was pretty abused as it frequently ran low enough to where it was pumping bubbles, and I would only clean it about once a year.  

If you do decide to use it, just keep up on maintenance so you can catch issues early.

Thank you, I'm happy to hear that.

I used them for some time and never had any issues.  If I look in my pump parts drawer I will probably find one or two pumps and some parts still around, I know I have a Rio 800 which was a dependable little pump.  I think I used something around a 2500 for a return.

I used one to mix my saltwater for many years without issue. This was a few years after the spate of negative experiences back 15 years ago or so. I believe that it was a Rio 2500, the same one you're using. A UL listing would show up on the box and might be molded into the plastic. The UL listing may be recent and may not apply to an old pump. Today, TAAM Rio only lists the 2500 as UL listed. The part number today is Rio Plus 2500 UL. I don't recall mine (from over 10 years ago) having a UL listing.

I've had a number of Rio pumps over the past 20+ years and never had an issue but that certainly doesnt mean they're trouble free. I still use a 2500+ for mixing salt water. 

I would be using the 2500 as a sump return, if it's stronger than what I'm using at the moment, which I worriedly cannot find the UL printed on the plastic, or the little silver sticker with all the numerical infos(on the 2500, I mean). I don't know how old it is. I would guess it must be under 10years old, but that's the best I can do to age it.

What exactly are the problems that supposedly go along with rios, and was it only certain models? I couldn't find out about the defective models question, and just very general mentions of a few issues, which didn't really explain anything about them.