Maxima clam size=level of ease?

Still_human

Can anyone tell me if maxima clams become easier or more difficult to keep as they get larger? Ive always had mixed to poor luck with maximas, but not crocea or squamosa, but somehow it never struck me until now that Ive mostly gotten large(r) crocea/squamosa,  Ive ONLY gotten very small maximas(1.5"-2" at most). I would love to try again, but i don't want to just kill them, so I'm wondering if I should just avoid maximas altogether, or if larger ones(4", 5", 6", +) are less delicate and difficult? Would larger maxima difficulty(or lack of) be comparable to larger crocea/squamosa/derasa, or at least much easier than little ones?

I think Dr. Mac did a video on Maxima's recently and said that the smaller ones that he sold were farm raised and that if you found a larger one it would be a wild collected clam and usually have some type of parasite or something.  Maybe check his site for the video.

I had a Derasa that I bought at about 4" that was probably 8"-9" when I lost it, most of the Maxima's I have had over time were bought about the 3" size and never had one get very large in my tank.  I've always wanted to try a Squamosa.

I've seen a number of posts regarding smaller clams needing extra care in regard to feeding but I've always purchased smaller clams (roughly 2") and never had issues. Recently, more people seem to acknowledge that smaller clams can survive off of light alone (and a lot of it for Maximas). Many people like to toss clams on the sand bed but Crocea and Maxima grow on rock/crevices, so placement may be a potential issue if you're attempting to keep them on the sand bed. As with everything, the way something is collected (if wild caught) always makes a big difference. Pacific East does seem to be one of the better vendors for healthy clams, based on forums comments. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Big Country said:

I think Dr. Mac did a video on Maxima's recently and said that the smaller ones that he sold were farm raised and that if you found a larger one it would be a wild collected clam and usually have some type of parasite or something.  Maybe check his site for the video.

I had a Derasa that I bought at about 4" that was probably 8"-9" when I lost it, most of the Maxima's I have had over time were bought about the 3" size and never had one get very large in my tank.  I've always wanted to try a Squamosa.

Yeah, all the maximas Ive ever gotten had been farm raised little guys, but I doubt something as big as 4"-6" would be farm raised. The parasite thing worries me. I know that's treatable, but I don't know how difficult that is. I really like squamosa, even though they're not super colorful, they can have such cool patterns. And they seem to be hardy clams. Ive always wanted hippopus and especially gigas, but the super rare occasional of ever seeing one for sale, I didn't have a tank up at the time, or just wasn't in any position to buy. 

That maxima video from dr. Mac was fantastic, thank you so much for mentioning it!

Edited by Still_human

14 minutes ago, madweazl said:

I've seen a number of posts regarding smaller clams needing extra care in regard to feeding but I've always purchased smaller clams (roughly 2") and never had issues. Recently, more people seem to acknowledge that smaller clams can survive off of light alone (and a lot of it for Maximas). Many people like to toss clams on the sand bed but Crocea and Maxima grow on rock/crevices, so placement may be a potential issue if you're attempting to keep them on the sand bed. As with everything, the way something is collected (if wild caught) always makes a big difference. Pacific East does seem to be one of the better vendors for healthy clams, based on forums comments. 

So the current consensus is that the little ones do NOT need the extra feeding care? If they DO, that definitely could have been an issue with mine, cause with a smaller tank I was very worried about adding much food at a time. 

Do the larger ones need to continue being fed much like that, or does that apparent need lessen as they're not little babies anymore? Adding enough food to keep a 6" clam happy would probably really effect the water 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Still_human said:

So the current consensus is that the little ones do NOT need the extra feeding care? If they DO, that definitely could have been an issue with mine, cause with a smaller tank I was very worried about adding much food at a time. 

Do the larger ones need to continue being fed much like that, or does that apparent need lessen as they're not little babies anymore? Adding enough food to keep a 6" clam happy would probably really effect the water 

I'm pretty sure it has been proven there is no need for additional feedings for the smaller clams. I've never done it but I havent had one much smaller than 2" either. 

Edit: article I stumbled across on Advanced Aquarist.

Edited by madweazl

23 minutes ago, madweazl said:

GheeeI'm pretty sure it has been proven there is no need for additional feedings for the smaller clams. I've never done it but I havent had one much smaller than 2" either. 

Edit: article I stumbled across on Advanced Aquarist.

Awesome, thanks, i really appreciate all these great sources, everyone! :)

1 hour ago, KingOfAll_Tyrants said:

I think this is the video people are referring to. Again, Dr. Mac is a highly recommended vendor! I got my Maxima from him at fragfest last year.

Awesome, thanks so much! I had watched a different one from him, but this one cinched it for me. There's a 6" beautiful maxima that would've ended up costing me just $70 with shipping, but I guess I should pass on it. I guess i can ask to see if it still has a foot or not, which sounds like the line between survival or not. If anyone has any specific info on THAT, it would be appreciated--if wild caught clams with an intact foot are perfectly fine? I guess the parasite is still a question though, spreading to any other clams in a tank, or not?

18 minutes ago, Still_human said:

Awesome, thanks so much! I had watched a different one from him, but this one cinched it for me. There's a 6" beautiful maxima that would've ended up costing me just $70 with shipping, but I guess I should pass on it. I guess i can ask to see if it still has a foot or not, which sounds like the line between survival or not. If anyone has any specific info on THAT, it would be appreciated--if wild caught clams with an intact foot are perfectly fine? I guess the parasite is still a question though, spreading to any other clams in a tank, or not?

Who's selling this?  I probably would have bought it if I were you.   I'm pretty sure it has its foot - it would die in a month or two if it didn't. 

Finally, especially with maximas, from either this video or a different Dr. Mac video, lighting is key - you can't practically give a maxima too much light in a home aquarium.

(edited)

Oh yeah, definitely! when he gets back to me, if it still has its foot, I'm going to get it for sure:) it sounds like that's the line of long term survival.

Edited by Still_human