Clownfish in a Haddoni Anemone

YHSublime

It's come to my attention that not all clowns will host a haddoni. 

Is this a misconception, or does anybody know? 

I would like to get a clown pair to host in my nem tank, but don't want to go through the woes of them getting eating! 

Depends on which clownfish you have.  Haddoni anemones are not natural hosts for true percula.   I had a tank full of true perculas that I bred and the haddoni I had was ignored.  Ocellaris sometimes accept haddoni as a host and I've seen it a few times.   

If you want a quick pairing, and minimize risk of fish getting eaten, research natural pairings. There's a reason why many people have problems getting percs to host in BTA's - it's not a natural pairing.  In fact, I have two percs, one loves my BTA and hardly ever leaves it. The other hasn't looked at it for a second. Un-natural pairings (clowns hosting in nems which are not found in their natural habitat/ranges) can and will happen, but it's never a sure thing, and the fish can end up being eaten - especially by nems with more aggressive stings such as a Haddoni. 

I've had true percs eaten by Haddoni's in the past. The Haddoni I had was an eating machine, usually the more expensive fish tasted better it seemed. 

15 hours ago, gioNVA said:

Depends on which clownfish you have.  Haddoni anemones are not natural hosts for true percula.   I had a tank full of true perculas that I bred and the haddoni I had was ignored.  Ocellaris sometimes accept haddoni as a host and I've seen it a few times.   

I don't have anything ready for the tank yet, wanted to make an educated decision first!

51 minutes ago, bues0022 said:

If you want a quick pairing, and minimize risk of fish getting eaten, research natural pairings. There's a reason why many people have problems getting percs to host in BTA's - it's not a natural pairing.  In fact, I have two percs, one loves my BTA and hardly ever leaves it. The other hasn't looked at it for a second. Un-natural pairings (clowns hosting in nems which are not found in their natural habitat/ranges) can and will happen, but it's never a sure thing, and the fish can end up being eaten - especially by nems with more aggressive stings such as a Haddoni. 

I've had true percs eaten by Haddoni's in the past. The Haddoni I had was an eating machine, usually the more expensive fish tasted better it seemed. 

I've never had a problem getting percs to host BTA's. I also had a trio of percula that hosted a haddoni in the past. I've found out the hard way that no matter how smart you think your fish might be, those carpets are sticky icky! I've done research on natural pairings, I guess I'm looking for first hand experience. As mentioned, I've had some success outside the norms, wondering if it's an anomaly. 

It’s really partially luck in terms of hosting the unusual pairs (but I have heard of people showing the clown videos, or physically guiding them to anemone).  If the fish are interested in the anemone, I found that a regularly fed anemone is more accepting.  The norm now seems to be against directly feeding anemones.

I’m definitely following along to see others’ experiences.

It’s really partially luck in terms of hosting the unusual pairs (but I have heard of people showing the clown videos, or physically guiding them to anemone).  If the fish are interested in the anemone, I found that a regularly fed anemone is more accepting.  The norm now seems to be against directly feeding anemones.

I’m definitely following along to see others’ experiences.

To be clear, I’m looking for feedback on success with haddoni nems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’ve had a green haddoni that killed 1 false perc  and allowed 2nd to host.  It also didn’t allow the clown to host until a long time after it’s been in my system for a while and went from maybe 5-6” to about 10”.  Don’t know if you would call that success or not but it is something!!!  

Like you said - Haddoni's are sticky icky!! Mine was green striped, and it's sting was NASTY. For an aggressive anemone like Haddoni, I would definitely recommend against trying to corral/push your fish into the anemone. You can get away with this with BTA's because they are pretty docile, but an unnatural pairing and a nasty nem with result in nem food.

Quick story about the potency of a Haddoni sting: I got my green-striped Haddoni from a friend. As he was taking it out of the tank, it wrapped around his hand up to the wrist. It took me and his wife close to 5 minutes to get it off of him. After we finally got it off, he was feeling really lightheaded and dizzy. He ended up having to take a benedryl and lay down for a few hours before feeling better. We were close to bringing him in to the ER. The nematocysts of Haddoni's are powerful. Unnatural pairings can happen, but you're relying on a little luck with this anemone.

If I were to have that Haddoni still today, I'd put in a nice pair of Clarkii. Maybe a bicintus, or a pearl-eye clarkii like I have shown below. 

Image result for pearl eye clarkii clownfish

On 4/1/2019 at 9:05 PM, gioNVA said:

I wish I had one thin dime for every harem of clownfish I saw on the reefs of Indonesia hosting a carpet anemone. 

1 minute ago, BeltwayBandit said:

Years ago I had a Haddoni.  I had a pair of saddleback clowns that hosted in it quite nicely.  IIRC the Haddoni is the natural hosting partner for this particular clown.

I like it very much, I may go out of my way to find some clowns for it that are a natural fit. Currently the tank is fishless, and crawling with pods. 

I have multiple Haddonis, LTAs, a Gigantea Carpet, a BTA and a H Magnifica in one aquarium.

Pink Skunks go in Gigantea and Haddonis.

Orange Skunks are in BTA and LTAs.

Hybrid Percula/Ocellaris Pair and a single Ocellaris are in H Magnifica.

I have some Ocellaris that won't go in an anemone.

It seems to be hit or miss with Clowns.

Here is one more actual data point for you.  I bought two clarkiis last night and at 6am the carpet is already hosting both.  Hope it continjes.

Awesome news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk