New tank Aquamaxx 22 with Kessil A360X

This is my first saltwater tank.  I've been a WAMAS member since 2013 but I just set up my tank in December 2018.  I purchased an Aquamaxx 22 gallon and I love the size.  It is larger than many nano tanks but not so large that I struggle doing regular water changes (just 4 gallons at a time).    My main consideration for choosing an aquarium was height and size.  I am 5'4" tall and many tanks were too tall for me with the stand.  The tank measures 36 x 12 x12.

I ordered a custom stand from Etsy.com.  The company is UrbanIndustrialNW.  The stand is made of recycled Douglas Fir (well sealed) and measures 38" x 14" and 36" tall.  It also has a lower shelf for a future sump tank (if I decided to switch over to one).  Right now, I have an Oceanbox Designs AIO Reef Conversation installed on the left hand side with Chemipure Blue, Purigen, and InTank Bonded Poly Filter Floss.   

The light is a Kessil A360X.   I found a beautiful Teak bracket for the light.  It is made by OneFortyThree (www.onefortythree.com) and it is a pendant light bracket.  It is normally 10" from the wall but I asked them to make it 9", which they were happy to do.  The Kessil cord runs over the top of the bracket and down through a groove in the back.  I am trying to decide if I want to cover the cord and paint it.  I used a Griplock ZF-15ZZ to hang it from the ceiling.  I am using 1/16" steel cable from Home Depot, 1 alligator clip, 1/4" x 4" eye bolt and 1/8" garabiner at the ceiling.  With the bracket and Griplock, I can easily adjust the light height or take it down.  The Griplock can hold up to 50 lbs. so it is quite secure.  The Griplock is from shop.bmisupply.com  (cost $2.95 plus $5 shipping).

Since I am a newbie, I am sticking with just 2 clownfish, 1 Peppermint shrimp and 2 snails.  So far, everything is going pretty well and I feel like I can manage this tank.   I just need to figure out how to hide the cords.  My next step is to add a few easy corals.

I will update the build when I add my first coral.

Mary Lynn

IMG_4913 resized.JPG

IMG_4916 resized.JPG

IMG_4917 resized.JPG

IMG_4953 resized.JPG

Edited by marylynn7
Addded photos

Very cool! Good to see another long nano tank around. My only recommendation would be to turn it so it is a peninsula-style orientation and add some sort of discrete lid.  I've had a lot of heartbreak from jumpers even when I had everything covered except a 1"x1/2" opening.

23 hours ago, ScooterTDI said:

Very cool! Good to see another long nano tank around. My only recommendation would be to turn it so it is a peninsula-style orientation and add some sort of discrete lid.  I've had a lot of heartbreak from jumpers even when I had everything covered except a 1"x1/2" opening.

Hi ScooterTDI,

I will definitely get a lid.  Is it difficult to make?  I will need a custom size.  

I would like to turn the aquarium to become a peninsula, but my office is very small.  I may move next year, so hopefully my new office will be a bit larger. Thank you for the feedback! Mary Lynn