35mm Macro?

A.ocellaris

Is this a good range for reef photography? I got it, but not sure if I should go with 100mm? My camera is not full sensor, so it add more range.

4 hours ago, A.ocellaris said:

Is this a good range for reef photography? I got it, but not sure if I should go with 100mm? My camera is not full sensor, so it add more range.

I don't care what you get, but can I book a session with you?????? My reef need some good photos.

1 hour ago, littlelise1985 said:

I don't care what you get, but can I book a session with you?????? My reef need some good photos.

Hahahaha. Let me practice first. Your tank is larger than mine so my lens may not work. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for 100mm.  Make sure you get a tripod and turn off all pumps when you take your pictures and let the tank settle a bit.  The crop sensor actually helps you out since a 100mm becomes bigger with the crop.

• 3 months later...
On 4/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, NightOwl said:

Another vote for 100mm.  Make sure you get a tripod and turn off all pumps when you take your pictures and let the tank settle a bit.  The crop sensor actually helps you out since a 100mm becomes bigger with the crop.

I got the Avast since it was a gift certificate. I have been using it for months and the problem I have is that light reflects inside the tube and the image looks bad :/ 

is this why you dont recommend  it?

3 hours ago, A.ocellaris said:

I got the Avast since it was a gift certificate. I have been using it for months and the problem I have is that light reflects inside the tube and the image looks bad :/ 

is this why you dont recommend  it?

I think you may have quoted me instead of darkseeker but post your picture so we can see what the possible issue may be.

(edited)
On 8/21/2019 at 8:19 PM, NightOwl said:

I think you may have quoted me instead of darkseeker but post your picture so we can see what the possible issue may be.

Oops! Yes. I meant to quote @darkseeker. Here’s an example. See the reflection?

21870d1427c2be1b8fc65d8c43632411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by A.ocellaris

A couple of things to do when trying to take a good top down.  Cut off all pumps and let the tank settle. This will in most cases let your corals relax and get better polyp extension.  Depending on your light set up move the lights or adjust your angle to limit the light going inside the top down box.  I find I can get some of my best shots shooting directly above the coral but it may be an issue if you can't move your lights.  Good luck...and also unlike the good old days where each photo costs you can take as many pictures as you want in digital.  For example the picture below took me 10 shots until I found one I liked and this is still not a great photo.

48254087002_affe6995f8_z.jpgIMG_6683 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr