Returning to WAMAS after 7ish years

Hi all,

I just rejoined the community and look forward to getting back into reef keeping. I sold off my tank around 2012 I think, and stayed in touch with the scuba divers of WAMAS through training and trips, but stopped visiting the forums and meetups. We just bought a new house in Takoma, where there should be room for a new in-wall tank project, and I figure it's high time to get back in! Can't wait.

Well, I do have to wait. It will take a little time to accumulate money and plans for this project...

Meanwhile, I want to do a lot of learning to get back into things. Much of my knowledge is obsolete, and I didn't know that much to begin with. Hopefully this time around I can educate myself a little better, especially about the construction, plumbing, automation, and lighting/electrical aspects, since I was faking it the first couple of reef tanks I kept. I look forward to getting lots of advice and help from this community.

Steve G, still in DC

Welcome to the club.

You will find that there are lots of knowledgeable folks here that shares the same addiction.

Just ask you questions.

My main questions are about advances in technology, specifically in the areas of reef lighting and controllers, since I've been gone. I also will need lots of advice and ideas for this in-wall project I'm planning. I will have about 4' or 5' of length to work with on the wall cutout and a roughly 9x11 empty room behind it with tile floor and easy access to the electrical panel, water supply, and a window. The possibilities...

I'll post my specific questions elsewhere on the forum and hopefully will get to a meeting to pick people's brains and see what they have. This will be a long planning process, in part so I can save up the $$$ after having put so much into buying the house. But if anyone has ideas with these parameters already, I'd love to hear them. I'm in the blue sky fantasizing stage right now.

My first specific question is how big a tank/bioload can an AquaC EV skimmer handle? Depending on the answer, I may have a used one for sale :)

Steve

This skimmer is rated for up to 150g. How big a tank you thinking of? Bigger is always better in this case. Plus if you do regular wc you can help out the skimmer some and add a sump with Macroalgae will help.
Tough to say. You plan on big fish or small ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 150g is about the size I'm going for, probably 4' long. I had this skimmer on a 90g which never had more than 4 or 5 fish, had a refugium with macro and a deep sand bed in the main tank. That being said, I'd like to plan for a larger bioload if i want one. Sounds like i should hang on to the skimmer and can wait to upgrade in the future. 

I would do that

lots people have successful tank without skimmer.

it will help not sure it’s necessary for success