Rapid uptick in alkalinity consumption

YHSublime

9 hours ago, Origami said:

That's really whacked, Jon. Search for "Homemade Standards Holmes-Farley" and check out Randy's DIY refractometer standard. Mix some up and cross-check your refractometer just to be sure. 

I crosschecked it with calibration fluid, but I may mix up some of the RHF just for fun.

On 3/23/2019 at 7:34 AM, DFR said:

I found IO to have decent variations also (but I only mix what is needed, when needed).  This could be alleviated by mixing 2-3x what is needed if you have the space and equipment.  I now also try to tumble the salt when I first get it to try to mix it a little better. 

Good idea about mixing the salt mix.  My first batch of water was 50 gallons.  I thoroughly shook up the bucket of remaining salt, and my next 50 gallon batch was just as bad.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:26 AM, Jon Lazar said:

Good idea about mixing the salt mix.  My first batch of water was 50 gallons.  I thoroughly shook up the bucket of remaining salt, and my next 50 gallon batch was just as bad.

It doesn't happen often that the mix isn't well mixed. After all, it's produced in much larger volumes and then repackaged. However, we've heard anectdotal stories of occasional lots being screwed up. I suppose it could happen if, for some reason, a lot was not properly blended before bagging/packaging. In that case, you might find that an entire batch is consistently bad. Normally, when this happens, you'll find others posting about the same problem, though. 

BTW, I've had bad calibration fluid before (from Pinpoint believe it or not). But just a few points; never off by 50%.