Aussie? expensive?

moga

just benders are putting Aussie in front of their corals and put a premium $ to it..

is it really coming from Aussie? or price tactic?

Not sure but "Aussie" in front of a coral is a negative for me, in my experience they tend to be slow growing and very sensitive to anything less than absolutely perfect parameters. Other people's experience may vary but one big tip off for me that they don't tend to do well in aquariums is that I do not see many hobbyists selling frags of them. Usually you'll see people selling frags of more well established corals that have done well in and acclimated to existing in captivity whereas basically every "Aussie" coral I ever see from sale is fresh shipped in from (hopefully) Australia.

12 minutes ago, Matt LeBaron said:

Not sure but "Aussie" in front of a coral is a negative for me, in my experience they tend to be slow growing and very sensitive to anything less than absolutely perfect parameters. Other people's experience may vary but one big tip off for me that they don't tend to do well in aquariums is that I do not see many hobbyists selling frags of them. Usually you'll see people selling frags of more well established corals that have done well in and acclimated to existing in captivity whereas basically every "Aussie" coral I ever see from sale is fresh shipped in from (hopefully) Australia.

Thanks .. I haven't been buying online for long time..And I saw liveaquaria Diver's Den page.. and all the corals are tagged with "AUSSIE" maybe I need to be on the current trend..

Some of mushroom and leather looked the ones that I used to have .. nothing special but price tag was high with AUSSIE in it...

They do ship corals from OZ. They are, in my experience, more expensive than corals shipped from other locations. At the wholesale level they tend to put restrictions on some pieces ie. to buy a single aussie gold torch you must by 6 green torches etc etc. I would expect something labeled "Aussie" would be more expensive in a retail setting. Is the piece really from OZ? How much do you trust the seller. I have never purchased a coral just because it had "aussie" in front of it. When I make a purchase I look at health/color/seller etc. I also always ask how long have you had the coral. Personally I am not interested in buying anything from a retailer that "just came in". No matter how nice the piece, the risk of the coral dying, not to mention pests and eggs, is much higher than buying a piece that has been tanked or farmed in an aquarium for a long period of time. 

PM me if you are looking for nicer leathers/Zoas/shrooms at way better prices than what I just saw on the site mentioned above. The most recent softy added to my tanks was 9 months ago. All The rest have been thriving for years in my system....

Corals grown in Aussie and Indo are sensitive because the farms are using ocean water pumped in or in the ocean.  Other frags you purchase from aquacultured tanks or members seem to do better for the obvious reasons at some point they have undergone many changes in parameters moving tank to tank.  

Yes corals coming in from Australia are more expensive than other wild corals.  Corals coming in from some parts of Aussie wholesale are 180 bucks each but are huge and most are bicolored, they are harder to collect and take more shipping to get here is the main price difference. These are the best aussie pieces and I don't really collect them much because all the others are mainly one color and over collected. Species collection in australia is not really diverse like some of the places that are shut down right now. Divers den is not really going to put aussie in front of something for price tactics, they do put shortcake and delfuego in front of their big sellers to increase the price to make money though.  There are not to many other places to get wild corals right now other than aussie which is the main reason prices are high and most vendors are only selling fragments.

If you have the right setup keeping these corals isn't really any harder than the others if you know what your doing but these setups take up space and involve a lot of electricity.  Personally I like buying wild and mari stuff more than high priced frags that I already know are going to be a certain color.  I like to be challenged and also buy stuff that doesn't hurt my pocket.  Right now fragments of popular corals are not going to make me happy with these prices people are selling at.  I would rather buy 20 medium colonies than get a few 1" frags of some corals that someone gets amazing glowing color from under only blue led.  There are only a few of these corals I would like and I will just wait till they are 30 or 40 for a nice sized frag.