Saltwater Mixing and Storage....

realypk

So I've started doing larger water changes and am finding it to be a serious pita to do so via 5 gallon home depot buckets.... Sooo I'm thinking of making myself a mixing setup. I was thinking 2x 55 gallon brute trashcans knowing that I wont likely need 55 gallons but its also nice in case i ever do and price/size difference is not that vast between those and the 44/34's. Also my phyto farm pod farm chews through water pretty good.

Anyways:

Question 1: Rubbermaide Brute 55gallon https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-Brute-55-Gal-Gray-Round-Vented-Trash-Can-with-Lid-2076193/306360661

good?

Question 2: What about water storage... if I have 2 barrels, 1 for rodi and one for salt. Can I store unmixed RODI Just fine? My TDS is 0 and will be for a bit, would having a tds of 2 or 3 change that? How long this assuming kept in garage temps and lid closed. 

Question 3: What about keeping mixed salt water stored? How long if at all?

Question 4: Whats the best way to mix saltwater in the 55g tub? A small pump? Or should I get a big pump with 2 way valve (mix/fill) and a super long tubing for easy filling of my tank? My tank is on second floor of house, garage 1st floor... what kind of pump rating would you suggest to handle that sort of back pressure?

1. Brute can will be fine to use. Many people uses them

2. I have 2 storage bins and 1 always have RODI in it, sometimes both as i did not add the salt to the "salt bin"

3. BRS did some research on this. Bottom line is, up to 3 weeks is not a problem https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/how-long-can-i-store-saltwater-after-mixing-brstv-investigates/

4. A small pump will be more that enough to use. add a heater to it. I have had brute cans with wheels on them. that allows me to wheel the water closer to the tank. What ever works best for you will be good enough

(edited)

Gotcha thanks ah always loves those series! So your rodi stores pretty much indefinitely?

I guess i can try a small 300gph pump and see if it has enough power for my water change needs!

Edited by realypk