Can trash bins leach ammonia?

mari.harutunian

I have tested my tap, RODI, fresh mixed salt, tank water, and now my mixed salt water for that has sat in my Rubbermaid for a few days for ammonia multiple times. The problem seems to be either the bin itself or something getting into it. Regardless, I’m getting rid of it. My question is: is this a known phenomena? 7218ff52e8f57350244345cb20fb8edb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen that happen, but I admit that I haven't actually looked for it.  I always have bio films (slimy tubing and surfaces) in my DI container, though, which shouldn't happen with no nutrients in 0TDS water, yet always happened so I might have had some in there too.  Wonder if the material that can is made from lets it out if it isn't NSF certified like the Brute cans are?  Just speculation.

I also wonder if it might be chloramine in the water which isn't effectively being removed by your RO/DI.  It's hard to remove, and I guess could break down over time to add some ammonia to the water that might not be detectable as ammonia on a test kit before it has broken down into components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine

What's the ammonia PPM of that test vial you're showing there?  

I haven't seen that happen, but I admit that I haven't actually looked for it.  I always have bio films (slimy tubing and surfaces) in my DI container, though, which shouldn't happen with no nutrients in 0TDS water, yet always happened so I might have had some in there too.  Wonder if the material that can is made from lets it out if it isn't NSF certified like the Brute cans are?  Just speculation.

I also wonder if it might be chloramine in the water which isn't effectively being removed by your RO/DI.  It's hard to remove, and I guess could break down over time to add some ammonia to the water that might not be detectable as ammonia on a test kit before it has broken down into components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine

What's the ammonia PPM of that test vial you're showing there?  

8+ ppm. I dont think API can read higher than 8.

What are the levels leaving the tap

Out of tap, out of RODI, and after mixing fresh, is zero ppm ammonia.

Years ago, some aquarists reported high ammonia, phosphates and other stuff coming from Rubbermaid Roughneck trashcans made from recycled plastics. Historically, the gray-colored Brute cans have been safe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

de6d4cffb197a00304a2d6d774620754.jpg
Brand new, washed and scrubbed with vinegar. It’s RODI water that sat in the bin for a few days and the test kit is an unexpired API Kit. I am just not sure what to do anymore. Does Hanna make ammonia checkers?

Take some of the RODI to a LFS and have them confirm your findings? Maybe a member here that uses something other than API will test for you.

I'd test but I use API myself.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Where do you keep the tub and is it covered?

I have mine next to my furnace and there was a yellow film on everything. My tests were all over the place until I figured that out and wiped my bins and buckets out. Now I keep everything covered.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Have you checked the water quality report for your water company to see if they use chloramine? It would be a source of ammonia that maybe wouldn’t show up immediately on a test kit as mentioned by Alan. Standard RODI filters won’t remove chloramine. Have you put water in a clean glass container and performed the same testing after storage? Can you seal your container to eliminate airborne contamination? 

4 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Have you put water in a clean glass container and performed the same testing after storage? 

That's a great idea.  Make a 5 gal bucket worth of saltwater and 5 gal for the Brute trash can.  Put them next to one another in the same room, and compare ammonia between the two.  If ammonia rises in the Brute and not the bucket, then the problem is with the Brute.

The trashcan is in a dark spare closet, no mold i checked. There was no top for this can when i bought it so it was uncovered. The last one was covered but i doubt it was airtight(do I Saran Wrap it?). I’ll put some water in some closed mason jars with some plastic shavings in each and then one open top one with and without plastic.

I'd also cover to ensure nothing is entering the brute. You may have addressed this but is there anything else in the brute? Pumps, PVC, Etc?...

-A-a-ron

No pumps. Just the brute. This one was uncovered for the last picture though. That’s 3 days of sitting.

Through what mechanism is an open top trash can getting ammonia and how should i seal it airtight? It came with no top.

I've not seen that with the Brute's, Mari, but I've also not used them for years now. First, I assume that you've tested your fresh RO/DI water, yes? Also, as a control, it may be worth putting an open-topped glass jar out near the Brute and testing it after it's been exposed to the air for three days just to make sure that it's not something in the air. Don't worry about the can being (airtight) sealed or not because that's not operationally reasonable. Instead, run an experimental control (the glass jar or bucket approach) and test/record a one or two times a day (at the same time(s) every day) over the course of several days. This may give you extra data that may prove useful.

(If, however, the can's in a place where a lot of dust or other organics can fall into it, then by all means put a lid on it.)

I've not seen that with the Brute's, Mari, but I've also not used them for years now. First, I assume that you've tested your fresh RO/DI water, yes? Also, as a control, it may be worth putting an open-topped glass jar out near the Brute and testing it after it's been exposed to the air for three days just to make sure that it's not something in the air. Don't worry about the can being (airtight) sealed or not because that's not operationally reasonable. Instead, run an experimental control (the glass jar or bucket approach) and test/record a one or two times a day (at the same time(s) every day) over the course of several days. This may give you extra data that may prove useful.

(If, however, the can's in a place where a lot of dust or other organics can fall into it, then by all means put a lid on it.)

I’ve tested my RODI on multiple occasions. And tap, fresh saltwater, sitting saltwater in the bins, sitting freshwater in the bins, and tank water.

I was wondering if it could be the air. Feeling a bit crazy chasing after these weird possibilities. Reef conspiracy theorist lol.

Will set out a Mason jar with RODI and go from there, thanks!

Do you have cats? It isn't unheard of for them to pee in containers of water, crazy as it sounds.

Do you have cats? It isn't unheard of for them to pee in containers of water, crazy as it sounds.

I have one cat but she’s 14 and needs steps to get onto anything. She would not be able to jump so high. The litter box is nearby if fumes matter.

c48ea7420e83819000ea7195d06fa46c.jpg

Open top cleaned mason jar test for a few days.... initially, i had it closed for 3 days then it came up negative, then opened it. I admit i did let it sit without testing twice a day. This is after 2 or three days open.

Some interesting reading. Didn’t resolve their similar problem but maybe some things to try.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/370866-rodi-water-left-exposed-to-air-in-my-house-accumulates-ammonia-why/

This sounds familiar. We both have cats and moved into houses with previous water damage. Could be coincidence. Have a feeling my story will end the same way if there’s no solution though.

Good control, Mari. So it's not the can, it's probably the air. You could run one other test by setting a couple of mason jars out - one indoors and the other outdoors (perhaps in a sheltered area where stuff won't fall into it - like a garage or something). If it's getting into your mixed water, you'd think that it's probably dissolving into your tank water, too, by the same route.

Good control, Mari. So it's not the can, it's probably the air. You could run one other test by setting a couple of mason jars out - one indoors and the other outdoors (perhaps in a sheltered area where stuff won't fall into it - like a garage or something). If it's getting into your mixed water, you'd think that it's probably dissolving into your tank water, too, by the same route.

I’ll give it a try. I have moved the litter box and aired out the room so my results may change. I’ll just keep doing the mason jar test i guess. My freshwater tank in the same room is doing wonderfully though. 521391a9e20650b048fd9b8effaf2a16.jpg
Albeit messy as most of the plants came out of the soil.