Rimless tank recommendations from experience

SixtyFeetUnder

I’m looking at several different rimless systems in the 60” range (red sea reefer 525, SCA 150 etc.) for my next build. One thing I’m paranoid about is long term durability. While love the look of the Red Sea I have serious difficulty believing that five panes of glass at that size (and internal pressure) sealed only with silicon and no bracing system will hold up for 10+ years.

The SCA eurobracing system looks a little more stable. Does anyone have experience with these tanks or other rimless tanks they can share either good or bad feedback? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 100 rimless cube. I believed it's made by glasscage. Rimless does look good, but I personally hated it. Has to keep wiping around the glass as it always get salt creep or splash all the time and snails get out the died often too. 

Not sure about integrity of non-braced rimless, but mine has bottom brace and but none on top. I had a similar worry when I got the tank, so I added 4 triangle braces on each of the top 4 corners just for my own piece of mind. 

I have a miracles in glass 200 gallon rimless. It’s 3/4” glass with internal bracing. I love the clean look but hate that when I clean the glass the water splashes down the front and sides. 

If if I was to do it again, I would go for the rimless look but try to see if they could do an internal eurobrace to help with the splashing 

Eurobrace the top with the internal overflow held up against it on the inside by the bulkheads. If anything is getting through, it’s via the weirs. Old glass cages I had I designed that way after the fact.

Great recommendations and thoughts; I hadn’t even thought about the splashing when cleaning. Top eurobrace like the SCA sounds like it could create a good look but better experience with cleaning. Keep the thoughts coming!

With Red Sea, I’ll be more concerned with the longevity of the stands than the aquariums.  

I also agree with everyone else about maintenance of non-eurobraced aquariums.  It is extremely easy to splash water out onto the outside of the glass.  I do however have an internal overflow and my water line is about an inch below top of glass so don’t run into issues of salt creep.

With Red Sea, I’ll be more concerned with the longevity of the stands than the aquariums.  
I also agree with everyone else about maintenance of non-eurobraced aquariums.  It is extremely easy to splash water out onto the outside of the glass.  I do however have an internal overflow and my water line is about an inch below top of glass so don’t run into issues of salt creep.

I read that on the 525 and up Red Sea is now using marine plywood instead of pressed wood; do you think in that case the stands will still be an issue? What type of tank are you currently running? I’ve also read good things about Waterbox systems recently but the crowd seems quite split on loving or hating rimless tanks.

I’m running a custom build 60 cube, nothing spectacular.  

Honestly they’ll both be fine long term.  I just did a quick search and many that were initially hesitant changed their mind after receiving the stands.  My only reservation is that since the stands lack a true frame, any structural damage could be detrimental.  I haven’t looked into it much, but changing to marine ply will definitely help it retard moisture damage which should extend its life.

I will add that I am running a rimless nano right now, and a rimless frag tank, and I don't have salt creep/splashing issues that everybody else seems to. I also have a high grade stand that I had built based specifically for the tank and sump dimensions. The only downside you might want to consider is I think the rimless tanks are super clean looking, and it's easy to clutter them up with other equipment that doesn't really match. For example, using a light that has legs that rest on the tank instead of using a clean hanging kit. Or having a bunch of big clunky pumps all over like jebao instead of a lower profile vortech style. And then the part that irks me the most, is LIDS on rimless tanks. What's the point?!

Fyi, on my next custom build im going SCA hands down. I got one of their skimmers and my gosh they have amazing customer service, they really go above and beyond and thats just on a skimmer i bet they stand behind their tanks even better. 

I asked what size drain hose the unit uses, they just sent me what i needed to my addy for free, ask them for reccomendations on a dc pump for my skimmer they hook me up with a darn good deal on one. And they always respond quickly.

Id personally lean on the side of caution and go with embracing on a large tank. Top bracing allows in my opinion best of both worlds, can take glass top off when you wanna look and put it back on for piece of mind. My dream rimless I'd just lid it when I'm not home, and take it off in a nice lid storage enclosure when I'm in the room with it so if a jumper does its thing i can take care of it.

Edited by realypk

What's the take on deep blue/seapora rimless? I've only ever had rimless tiny tanks (<20 gal) so I doubt those have much issue. Is it possible to drill those? We just ordered a 75 gal and it was ridiculously heavy bc of the thicker glass. 

Also do people see differences between all-in-one rimlesses like the Reefers vs standalone rimless tanks?