Pairing clownfish

ImGoingCoastal

I have two juvenile clowns, close in size (1.5") added to the tank a few weeks apart. The newer one (a misbar black Occ) is doing what clowns do and picking on the smaller one (a frostbite Occ). My question is, how do I know if it's too much? The little one has tattered fins and is constantly being harassed. That said, when he's not being chased, the dumb little guy is right next to his big bully and is acting fine. They sleep on opposite sides of the tank with the little one in hiding. This has gone on now for about two to three weeks. At times it seems like it's getting better, at others it seems worse.

Thoughts on whether I should keep trying to pair them or move on from trying to have 2?

Thanks!

Aaron

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

A somewhat humorous example of the bullying. It seems like it's gotten worse lately though.https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c8334a4312d7/VID-20190307-WA0009.mp4

Providing the smaller one is still eating, I wouldn’t worry about it.  I don’t recall an exact duration for this behavior, but it takes a while and it’ll also vary a little between individual fish.  The larger fish is just trying to establish dominance.

Yeah, I understand that they get aggressive but I know that sometimes it's just pairing and sometimes you'll be left with only one clown. So I'm just trying to figure out what is considered it of the norm.

The little guy has a nice little chunk missing from his tail. He's acting okay, but the fact that they spend a lot of time in the opposite sides of the tank has me concerned.

Had same thing happen to me, and went to petco to get an imaginarium breeder net which helped give the victimized fish some time to recover. Once his fins were all good and he was happy eating etc, back into the frey with the female he'd go. Took a few times but they ended up pairing. I have no doubt she would have killed him had i not put him in the breeder net for a while. He would float in the furthest away corner minimizing himself and she'd still terrorize him. The breeder net gave him some time to heal up and a reprieve while still letting her see him and vice versa, she tried to attack him through it a few times at first. They are cheap 10$ range.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/fish/fish-health-wellness/fish-breeding-supplies/imagitarium-aquarium-net-breeder

Maybe I should’ve elaborated a little more.  It’s very likely that you have two reproductive males (vs 2 non-reproductive individuals) so this behavior could continue until one transforms to a female.  Though watching them pair off can seem disheartening, they’ll be fine. 

The larger issue is to keep them well fed to ensure their immune system can handle possible invasions during this time of heightened stress.  Fin nipping is normal and is still safe for the fish.  Symptoms that should prompt your intervention are visible signs of damage to the body or extreme stress (fish not moving, labored breathing, etc.).  These types of issues make pose the risk of getting bacterial or parasitic infections/outbreaks.