Looking for help with main tank Issues + ATI water test

realypk

If your po4 is fluctuating in between bag changes it could be an issue causing your new corals sps to die off.  I also wonder what the corals were exactly, besides a monti cap and where they came from, also did you dip them and for how long in what?  Overfeeding could be an issue but its been talked about already.  If your using gfo thats fine but the goal is to continue to change it often enough to avoid up and down swings and slowly get your po4 down to a low stable number, although some people have luck after some time of having high po4 but in a younger tank I wouldn't suggest it, even if it can work.  Pictures of the corals in the tank and whatnot would be helpful otherwise its all just general guesses of what happened.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(edited)

Here are some pics I took just prior to my cleaning/water change event this weekend. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MhRfasXn0oRTiBIUlpJXvWoqAdlb3KxO

I generally dip all my corals in Coral RX for about 15-20 minutes. The last batch actually looked quite good for about a week and half before going on a downward spiral. I got most from sellers at our last meet.

Edited by realypk

52 minutes ago, realypk said:

Here are some pics I took just prior to my cleaning/water change event this weekend. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MhRfasXn0oRTiBIUlpJXvWoqAdlb3KxO

I generally dip all my corals in Coral RX for about 15-20 minutes. The last batch actually looked quite good for about a week and half before going on a downward spiral. I got most from sellers at our last meet.

Check your magnets on that frag rack. I had the exact same piece of garbage rack and the inside magnets were rusting on the back. 

No evident rust from what i could tell on those magnets, but I never even thought to check that, seeing as it's so easy to do I'll definitely do it once in a while! Great Tip!

I had a float switch magnetic mount do the same last year; I give everything with a magnet a once over fairly often now (return pump, wave makers, float mounts, probe mounts, etc.).

(edited)

Did another round of tests today, so far 1 20% water change complete and have been feeding less by far.

This is since my last reading

Screenshot_20190313-232134_AquaticLog.jpg

I'm seeing my dendro slowly re-encrust its skeletons, my monti has not gotten worse and has gotten pinker in surviving areas. Akro has neither gotten worse nor gotten better. One of my fungia has gotten 20% worse but flesh loss seems to have stalled at that point

Edited by realypk

Coral rx for more than 8 or 10 min is going to really stress most any acropora or sps.  That could be part of the reason you struggled with them at the start. Smooth skin and some other acropora should only be dipped for 4 to 5 min.  Once your tank starts growing coraline algae really well you should see the corals start to take off.  I would keep on watching the amount of food that goes into the tank and keep things stable.  Good luck! 

(edited)

Thank you for the advice in dips :-)

Ive got quite a bit of various colors of corraline that is growing pretty well in the tank. One thing that i noticed helped was upping my alkalinity and PH slowly and feeding less. So far everything has gotten to be stable ie no regression, i think a bit of improvement on some fronts.

Ive added more tank pics to the share folder, should be ordered oldest to latest.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-EKlUYvzGSDLaFUojExixUjGGmwsNT_p

Edited by realypk

Keep us posted. It sounds like things are starting to settle back to a more healthy state. That phosphate dropping from 220 to 66 ppb is going to help.