Leptastrea growth success

bues0022

Phew! I’m happy I finally turned this coral around. It was dying due to my own problems, not because it came to me sick or caught a big of any kind. My skimmer was down for a little bit, my cheato light broke, I was feeding heavy, so things got a little out of whack. Zero nutrient export - yikes! Coupled on top of that I put this coral too high up and had my lights up super high.

Fixes are in place, coral in a happier place, and lights tuned a bit. 

Oct 2018:

large.6C250916-34A7-468F-BABB-094ACDCC4CFE.png.e359155e6a5ea7276dbf687354fceb46.png

Last night:large.EB324EA1-AFBB-4512-B984-8FA09E64362D.jpeg.f6ec34404bb9fcae2121644c965eb354.jpeg

Well done! I bet the rest of the tank is much happier too!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It’s not as impressive as your coral rehabs - especially since the reason for this coral’s original demise was self inflicted (it was in great health when I bought it from the LFS). BUT, I’m happy that it’s happy. Most of the other corals have responded well to the changes - but a couple still have me perplexed. 

The PE is awesome on this coral - it’s quickly become the favorite coral in my tank because of its sweet PE!

I have a couple of frags of the same coral, but mine doesn't have PE like that, do you have it in the shade or under the light?  Please give me some tips on this. Thanks

It’s on the bottoms left corner of my 30 cube. It’s tilted at about. 45 degree angle, so it’s not getting direct top down light. It does get pretty good, laminar flow through most of the day. Super high flow seems to have shorter PE, as did higher light. I feed it about 2-3x per week a mix of frozen small bits. I’m running a single radion at max intensity of 45% using the WWC light schedule - so true max intensity ends up being something like 30%. 

The internet research on this coral was super confusing. Some places say high light high flow - others say the opposite. At least with the color morph I have, it seems to do best with lowish light (I have it next to mushrooms/ricordias) and medium flow (not as high as sps, but more flow than something like a hammer/torch/frogspawn would like).

Thank you!  I appreciated it man!  Such an awesome looking coral and it would be nice to get a nice big colony of it in my tank.