Moving and Selling Reef Tank and Lifestock

DC_Reefer

download?accessToken=eyJraWQiOiJpY1A4WExHello All, first time posting and in need of some help with an upcoming move.  Unfortunately I need to move into a new apartment in DC and will not be able to take my RedSea Reefer 250 reef tank with me ? I’ve had this tank for over 2 years now and it is doing quite well with a variety of fish and coral.  I do not even know how to begin to start selling the tank.  Do I sell everything as one unit or do I itemize everything and sell it in pieces?  I may be able to purchase a smaller tank to keep my clownfish and RBTAs but that’s about it.  Below is the list of hardware that I have.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

RedSea Reefer 250

Custom made tank cover

Crystal ATO 5 Gallon Reservoir

Tunze Waterproof full spectrum LED fixture

Aquatic Life 36" Hybrid T5HO 4X39W Fixture with LED mounting system

Avast Marine K1 Kalk Stirrer

Bulk Reef Supply Top off doser - 50 ML per minute

Reef Octopus Varios-2 return pump

Reef Octopus 110SSS 5” internal space saving protein skimmer

Cobalt-Aquatics Neo-Therm submersible heater 150w

AI Prime HD lights x2

Tunze Turbelle nanostream 6055 controllable wave maker x2

Tunze Turbelle nanostream 6040 controllable wave maker

Tunze Osmolator universal 3155 ATO 

Neptune Apex Controller system

4 Part RO/DI Water system

Not sure how to upload pictures so help with that would be appreciated as well ?

Edited by DC_Reefer
Added picture

I use FLIKR for uploading pictures. As for pricing, it depends on who you talk to. You would make more money if you part it out, but if you need to get it all out quickly, your going to loose more then you probably want. 

Best thing to to do is decide what your bottom line is and try to sell as a package. If that doesn’t work, part it out 

Full systems seem to move slowly on WAMAS. Parting out is more effective in my opinion. You might find somebody to take the system if you advertise on something like CL.

Livestock and that big tank will drive your sense of urgency. Decide on your approach and establish a schedule based on the time that you have left. Log everything in a spreadsheet and set your prices. Then list and sell your livestock first on that schedule. Be prepared to reduce prices on things that simply cannot move with you. Have a backup plan - maybe sell to an LFS if you can't sell things on the open market. Then work on selling your equipment. Smaller equipment is portable and can probably follow you easily if you run out of time. 

Remember, you can sell on WAMAS, but only if you join as a supporting member. After joining, you'll see that we have a TON of other forums that you, as a bulletin board member, cannot see. Among those areas are our for sale and auctions forums.

Here's an example schedule:

Day 1: Join WAMAS; set prices (using some research as a guide); list system on CL and and WAMAS. Start looking for a nano tank if you're going to take that route. Take decent pictures of your system, livestock and equipment. Gather whatever data you have on their condition, original price, age, etc.

Day 2: Investigate LFS potential as a backup plan; get idea of what kind of terms you can get. 

Day 7: Have the nano tank in hand by this date. Move whatever you want from the old system to the nano tank starting today.

Day 8: If system hasn't sold, move to part out system. Start with livestock. Be prepared to offer deals for more than one item or all livestock in one deal. 

Day 15: Sell remaining livestock to LFS or offer as giveaway to a school or somebody; List equipment. Consider your prices carefully.

Day 22: Hopefully the schedule-critical stuff is gone by now and you're only left with pieces. Continue to list and to consider taking those along with you as you try to sell things.

Full systems seem to move slowly on WAMAS. Parting out is more effective in my opinion. You might find somebody to take the system if you advertise on something like CL.

Livestock and that big tank will drive your sense of urgency. Decide on your approach and establish a schedule based on the time that you have left. Log everything in a spreadsheet and set your prices. Then list and sell your livestock first on that schedule. Be prepared to reduce prices on things that simply cannot move with you. Have a backup plan - maybe sell to an LFS if you can't sell things on the open market. Then work on selling your equipment. Smaller equipment is portable and can probably follow you easily if you run out of time. 

Remember, you can sell on WAMAS, but only if you join as a supporting member. After joining, you'll see that we have a TON of other forums that you, as a bulletin board member, cannot see. Among those areas are our for sale and auctions forums.

Here's an example schedule:

Day 1: Join WAMAS; set prices (using some research as a guide); list system on CL and and WAMAS. Start looking for a nano tank if you're going to take that route. Take decent pictures of your system, livestock and equipment. Gather whatever data you have on their condition, original price, age, etc.
Day 2: Investigate LFS potential as a backup plan; get idea of what kind of terms you can get. 
Day 7: Have the nano tank in hand by this date. Move whatever you want from the old system to the nano tank starting today.
Day 8: If system hasn't sold, move to part out system. Start with livestock. Be prepared to offer deals for more than one item or all livestock in one deal. 
Day 15: Sell remaining livestock to LFS or offer as giveaway to a school or somebody; List equipment. Consider your prices carefully.
Day 22: Hopefully the schedule-critical stuff is gone by now and you're only left with pieces. Continue to list and to consider taking those along with you as you try to sell things.
I accept ALL Donations! ;)
Really tho', if you need help/etc. PM me. Would be happy to help in any way.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk