MarineDepot

How to Lower Nitrates in a Saltwater Aquarium

10 posts / 100 viewsLast Reply

Nice video. I like that it summarizes many of the techniques of nitrate reduction, many developed/refined by hobbyists over the decade. I like that it also (at the end) touches on nutrient-limited conditions (e.g. phosphate-limited denitrification) and on the connection to biological process needs. I'm also intrigued by the rechargeable nitrate-absorbing media/resin from Blue Life. There were some really old methods that were not discussed - Jaubert's under-substrate plenum approach, RDSBs, and coil denitrators come to mind. But these are all waypoints to test/develop nutrient-control theories that we apply today.

Good job.

3 hours ago, Origami said:

Nice video. I like that it summarizes many of the techniques of nitrate reduction, many developed/refined by hobbyists over the decade. I like that it also (at the end) touches on nutrient-limited conditions (e.g. phosphate-limited denitrification) and on the connection to biological process needs. I'm also intrigued by the rechargeable nitrate-absorbing media/resin from Blue Life. There were some really old methods that were not discussed - Jaubert's under-substrate plenum approach, RDSBs, and coil denitrators come to mind. But these are all waypoints to test/develop nutrient-control theories that we apply today.

Good job.

Thank you for the compliments here and I am glad to hear that you found the video useful. When developing the script I was sort of bouncing around which biological methods of nitrate control to address specifically and I came to the conclusion that it was likely more beneficial to take the time to explain what happens when you employ some method of biological nitrate control.  I felt once you understand how it all works, any one of the methods would be far easier to implement and maintain because they really work using the same principal.  

Feel free to ping me directly on here or via email (social@marinedepot.com) to discuss further, I am always happy to talk tank and make new fish friends! 

:)

-Robert @ MD

Right, it's cool to see it grouped together like this.  I remember when remote deep sand beds were all the rage and everyone on Reef Central was putting a bucket full of oolitic aragonite next to their sumps and waiting and watching for an anaerobic region to form and for their nitrates to start going down.  I had one.  

Nothing worked as well for me as an algae scrubber.  It was also so satisfying to pull out large piles of algae and be able to see the "nutrient export" I had going on.

I'm looking for an old joke thread about growing aiptasia as a means of nutrient export that I remember from many years ago...  It was someone who was raising berghia or wanted to.

I'd love to add an algae scrubber, but can't work it out space wise, and don't want to do any major plumbing remodeling! 

Just now, YHSublime said:

I'd love to add an algae scrubber, but can't work it out space wise, and don't want to do any major plumbing remodeling! 

Santa Monica Filtration offers a variety of different solutions, one or more of which may work for you.

https://www.marinedepot.com/NEW-Algae-Scrubbers-from-Santa-Monica-Filtration-ap.html

Just now, MarineDepot said:

Santa Monica Filtration offers a variety of different solutions, one or more of which may work for you.

https://www.marinedepot.com/NEW-Algae-Scrubbers-from-Santa-Monica-Filtration-ap.html

Yeah, I've heard a mix bag of reviews with that department! You all have any thoughts?

7 hours ago, AlanM said:

I'm looking for an old joke thread about growing aiptasia as a means of nutrient export that I remember from many years ago...  It was someone who was raising berghia or wanted to.

No joke. It was actually in one of the books on my shelf. Possibly Bob Fenner's but I'm thinking that it may have been one of Julian's.

14 hours ago, Origami said:

No joke. It was actually in one of the books on my shelf. Possibly Bob Fenner's but I'm thinking that it may have been one of Julian's.

Books? What are those? lol

Books used to be a big seller for us back in the day but unfortunately not anymore. The sad thing is we want to carry them, but people just don't buy them since there is so much free information available online. I had asked Mr. Sprung about doing ebooks and/or audiobooks in an interview last year.

But I understand, too.

This hobby can be complex. Having pictures, video, audio, graphics (charts/diagrams/animation), etc. can make a complicated subject a lot easier to understand. Easier for me, anyway! I learn something new with just about every video or article we release! Fortunately, I am surrounded by coworkers who are a lot more knowledgeable than me!

Jeff @ Marine Depot

I know what you mean. The quality of multimedia you can get these days is really good, even though a lot of it is in small snippets or vignettes. However, unless you have a pretty decent handle on how all these things fit together, it can still result in an incomplete understanding. That's where I find that a well-written book can really help tie things together cleanly helping one see the bigger "organism" (system) rather than just he collection of organs (subsystems). Once you have that, you begin to understand how each subsystem functions inside the system, and gain an appreciation for the functional role that each subsystem plays and how the various approaches/solutions offer different approaches to meeting similar sets of requirements.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.