STN from base of colony

Sharkey18

Any idea what is causing this STN?  

I have two colonies that have been losing flesh from the bottom very slowly and now a third colony is losing much more quickly. 

These are from the third colony. I suspect AEFW but cant see any. Any ideas? 

IMG_0850.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

Given the placement, it looks like a lack of light/flow to that area. It doesn't look at all like AEFW bite marks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have some pieces doing the same - they are super shadowed, so my assumption is that it’s most likely light. If there are parts of the base that are retracting that are in good light, then I’d suspect low alk. 

Same thoughts, light/flow. AEFW marks look different. I'm with Brian, good that you're looking!

So, what do you about colonies that grow big enough that they shade their own bases? 

I will work on repositioning / adding more flow. 

Thanks! 

I look for aefw because I am terrified of getting it! 

I wouldnt fight it. It’s a normal thing as they grow out they are going to shade themselves. If the coral is healthy and happy it won’t bother it at all. In the Wild we have the sun at all different angles and waves reflecting light all over the place. However in our fish tanks we sometimes just have a single non moving light. I guess you could rotate the coral occasionally like I rotate my house plants but I prefer to have them secured to the rockwork and deal with the shading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk