WAMAS Spring 2019 Meeting - Saturday, April 27 - Nikki Bridges - Coral Rehabilitation

AlanM

Note the different location than most of our recent Maryland Meetings!

Saturday, April 27, 2018
Time: 1:00 P.M. - 5:15 P.M. (Speaker starts at 3 PM)
Where: Rockview Elementary School

3901 Denfeld Avenue
Kensington, MD 20895

WAMAS members get in free. Guests are $5 each (paid at the door). 

Door prize: New Frag Health Kit (dip, viewing lens, frag kit, frag rack, etc.)

Refreshments provided by WAMAS.

Speaker: Nikki "ReefdUp" Bridges

Nikki_diving.jpg.eac070ae01600674ec6f2ce157d9f629.jpg

Nikki is a WAMAS member, an engineer, military spouse, and mom to two crazy kids. In her infinite spare time, her passion for the last twelve years has been rehabilitating hundreds of injured/diseased coral and fish.

Her favorite moments include defeating bizarre pests, eliminating diseases, successfully beating “brown jelly”, and still managing to safeguard her favorite rescues as she moves back and forth across the country. This passion likely stems from growing up in a family dedicated to rescuing wild animals and native plants. She has over thirty years in the aquarium hobby and currently has a 120 gallon mixed reef and four quarantine/treatment tanks – ask her what it is like to move that from state to state!

Topic: Back from the Brink: Lessons from Coral Triage to Rehabilitation

This isn’t your grandpa’s reef tank; these aren’t your average everyday problems. You won’t find aiptasia anemones, red planaria flatworms, or marine ich here. Instead, join us as we delve into corallivorous spiders, camouflaged nudibranchs, tentacle(?)-wielding flatworms, predatory pods, and other unusual pests and diseases encountered through rescuing corals at their worst. Learn troubleshooting techniques and treatment protocols through short case studies. So sit back, relax, enjoy copious photographs, and know that there is still hope.

Agenda:

1:00 - 2:50 Sign-in / socialize / frag sales
2:50 - 3:00 Club business
3:00 - 4:15 Speaker: Nikki Bridges
4:15 - 4:30 Break
4:45 - 5:15 Raffle!

Directions to Rockview Elementary School:

Here's a map from Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/eire1J8UHGK2

Special thanks to theses sponsors. Please support them & say thanks next time you shop with them. You can find their website address by visiting their forum or the sponsor page on the WAMAS website.

WAMAS Platinum Sponsors 

Air, Water & Ice

- Aquarium Depot
Avast Marine
Blue Ribbon Koi
Capital Aquarium
Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture
Exotic Reef Creations
FishnReef.com
LRS Reef Frenzy
Marine Depot
- Pimped Out Aquariums
- Premium Aquatics
- Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition)
Reef eScape

- Reef2Rainforest Media (Coral Magazine)
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Supreme Reefs

WAMAS Banner-Only Sponsors 

Cobalt Aquatics
- Coralvue
- Jellyfish Art
Live Aquaria

- MASNA
- Spectrapure
- Two Little Fishies

Raffle Prizes*
- 1 year subscription to Coral Magazine, the world's premier reef aquarium magazine. Donated by Reef2Rainforest Media.

- Reef Frenzy premium frozen fish food. Donated by Larry DuPont of LRS, creator and owner of Reef Frenzy.

- 1 Neptune Systems Apex I/O Breakout Box. Donated by Ken Brown at SaltwaterAquarium.com. Thanks, Ken!

- Three $50 gift certificates to Aquarium Depot

Reef Nutrition: Samplers of their bottled reef food products! (2 chances to win!)
Reef NutritionChroma Boost pellets (three 3-ounce bags raffled together)

- Frag packs and two $25 gift certificates to Supreme Reefs

- One AquaEl 32W AquaEl Leddy-Slim LED lamp (Plant spectrum) fitting tanks 32-40" (retail value $170) from SaltwaterAquarium.com

- One AquaEl 36W AquaEl Leddy-Slim LED lamp (Sunny spectrum) fitting tanks 40-48" (retail value $150) from SaltwaterAquarium.com

Get Free Raffle Tickets!

We have a "bring your receipts" program where if you bought stuff from one of our sponsors since the last meeting you can bring your receipts to the check-in desk to get one free raffle ticket for every $25 that you spent at a sponsor.  

We don't need to keep the receipts, but would like to see them in hardcopy form (not on your phone because it takes too long) to give you the free tickets.

Sponsors on-site:

FishnReef.com

Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture

- Blue Ribbon Koi

- More to be announced

Members selling on site:
- Copps

- ECreefer

- gws3

- Mr.Chalice

- Waterworld

Watch this space for more information to be made available as it arrives!

• 1 month later...

Bump for the meeting coming up in 2 weeks!  

I'll be updating the meeting thread in the next couple of days. 

I'm hearing from members who would like to set up tables to sell corals.  If you'd like to sell corals at the meeting please send me a PM.  I can go over what you need to bring and what is expected when you're selling.

I've just added two raffle prizes to the first post:

First, a 1-year free subscription to Coral Magazine - the best produced reef aquarium magazine in the world (IMHO). Donated by the great people at Reef2Rainforest Media.

CORAL-11-2-Cover-for-Web.jpg

Second up is some Reef Frenzy premium frozen fish food. Donated by our good friend and supporter, Larry DuPont, creator of Reef Frenzy and other Frenzy foods. Multiple chances to win.

28e0229f4fe67ea54fe1ee3088d7cdfb?AccessK

Stay tuned. More to come.

Platinum Sponsor, Reed Mariculture has donated sampler packs of their feed products to our raffle. Come on out! Two chances to win!

Pack #1 ($84 value):
gallery_2631296_685_135827.png

Pack #2 ($73 value):
gallery_2631296_685_107901.png

See everyone in a few hours.  We're getting everything ready at the moment and still adding raffle prizes.  

Since we haven't been to this school in a while our treasurer, Scott, put together this cartoon of how to enter the school:

Displaying school.png

I can't fix the image on my phone, although it shows for me. Maybe one of our moderators or officers or ex officers can fix the permissions. 

We are in. 

Enter on the entrance along Denfeld that is farthest away from Connecticut. We have a wamas sign out front. 

Thanks to everyone who came out.  It was a really great meeting and good attendance especially for Maryland.  We had a few new members today.  

Also, thanks to Nikki, our speaker, who did a great job.  I liked the flow chart, and I think you should publish that somewhere.  It laid out very clearly what to look out for.

Thanks to the frag sellers for coming out and for Dr Mac from Pacific East and Johnny from BRK for both making the trip and bringing great stuff.  We're planning to have a social event in the next couple of months out at BRK, so stay tuned for that.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:30 AM, AlanM said:

I can't fix the image on my phone, although it shows for me. Maybe one of our moderators or officers or ex officers can fix the permissions. 

Alan, whatever that image was, the underlying link went to mail.google.com and seemed to tie into some message. It was not a direct link to an image.