40 breeder stand question

dante411x

Simple enough problem. I want to build a stand for a 40 breeder that's larger than the tank. The dimensions of a 40 breeder are 36x18 and I was thinking of building a stand following the reefcentral diy template and adding a plywood top. But I want the stand to be 44x22. Idea is that the tank would be sitting centered on the stand with the back of the tank flush with the back of the stand. Creating a 4" shelf around it. I figure that beside it being useful to have a shelf right around the tank to put stuff on, it will also be fantastic to have extra room under the tank to give me a lot more leeway with sump/equipment. 

I'm just not sure if this will create structural issues. Or more like, since the stand is already extremely overbuilt with that design, if the structural issues will be a concern at all. Could use some of that awesome wamas advice here. 

I recently build a 2x4 stand for a 40 gallon breeder as well and used that template as a starting point, however I used less vertical 2x4 as I thought it was overbuilt.  With that said, the 40 gallon breeders have an external frame that bears all the weight, and I believe you need to have that black frame sitting on the stand rails and supported by the vertical legs of the stand.  I would not want to build the support at 44 x 22, cover it with plywood, and place the tank in he middle.  As that template is drawn up, the wood carries the full weight of the tank, the fasteners just hold the wood in place, I would encourage a similar design.

It’s doable. I built a 48”x22” stand for a 40 breeder I had a while back. I used that template, but instead of only one top center brace (blue in pic) I put 2 of them. They were placed 36” apart to support the ends of the tank. I also put a vertical brace in the back to support the horizontal span. That stand was built like a tank and way overbuilt. I wish I had taken pics to share. This is the only one I could find. It was the very first stand I built. Top plywood was 3/4”.

gallery_2634913_1623_55150.jpg

Edited by WheresTheReef

22 hours ago, beef1020 said:

I recently build a 2x4 stand for a 40 gallon breeder as well and used that template as a starting point, however I used less vertical 2x4 as I thought it was overbuilt.  With that said, the 40 gallon breeders have an external frame that bears all the weight, and I believe you need to have that black frame sitting on the stand rails and supported by the vertical legs of the stand.  I would not want to build the support at 44 x 22, cover it with plywood, and place the tank in he middle.  As that template is drawn up, the wood carries the full weight of the tank, the fasteners just hold the wood in place, I would encourage a similar design.

I mean, I’m right there with ya. That’s why I’m trying to figure out what changes I’ll need to make to the structure to make it work. 

21 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

It’s doable. I built a 48”x22” stand for a 40 breeder I had a while back. I used that template, but instead of only one top center brace (blue in pic) I put 2 of them. They were placed 36” apart to support the ends of the tank. I also put a vertical brace in the back to support the horizontal span. That stand was built like a tank and way overbuilt. I wish I had taken pics to share. This is the only one I could find. It was the very first stand I built. Top plywood was 3/4”.

gallery_2634913_1623_55150.jpg

That’s what I was thinking.. Actually I was considering making two top cross braces at 36” apart, two back braces at 36” apart and a single removeable front brace. For the doors to close against something and for a little more support. Perhaps using some metal 90 degree bits screwed in between the top braces and top frame...

Also, after further consideration, I’ll probably end up making a stand sized for a 90g. That way, if I ever get a chance to set one up, I’ll already have a stand that will fit one. 

2 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

Ironically enough.... The stand for my 40 that sits flush with my 20 on it.

6c9e7914fa2e742ccd85f03ebe035c8d.jpg

-A-a-ron

That looks way way more sturdy than the IKEA shelf that’s holding mine up lol

Complete overkill for the 40.... It's laughing holding the 20 up. The rim around it is really nice but it collects a lot of crap from time to time....

-A-a-ron

Yeaaa well, I don’t really have a rim, so everything else around the tank in a 3 foot radius collects a lot of crap from time to time. That’s partially (mostly) why I want all that extra space on the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk