Moving tank

Eastwick

I’m moving apartment and would like some advice on the best solution to move. This will be my first time moving a reef tank. Been reading on forums to get ideas on how to move. Will brute cans and 5gal buckets  be the best option to transport? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

I've moved my tanks 3 times and have had success each time. I've ways disassembled all major corals and packaged up very similar to how you would if you shipped them (Used hot hands to keep them warm). If corals are still attached pr encrusted for rocks I would transport them in 5 gallon buckets with just enough water to submerge them. You can also throw fish in the buckets as well. I left the sand in the tank with enough water to just keep it saturated but no excess water. If you have excess live rock you can store them in styrofoam containers with saturated news paper over them to keep them moist.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If it's not far and you can get into it before hand I'd arrange to make some water there and then just transport your rock under wet paper towels to ease the inevitable back pain from moving and only keep sps and lps corals (softies should be OK in a towel for a short period of time - 30 minutes or so) in water, more to prevent damage than anything else.  Many corals get exposed to the air at some point in time during the tidal sequence and although soft corals don't often get exposed, I feel like they can handle it better for short periods of time due to the slime they put out.  If you can transport in water then do it, but again, might make life easier to not do so.  I would do completely new water for the tank if you have the means to have it ready at the new place and remove the corals and then clean your substrate with the existing water as you drain to remove as much detritus as you can and give your tank a nice reboot.  I used to move multiple tanks back and forth every single year when I was teaching and I used a combination of Brute garbage cans (I could fit them standing up in my SUV), random tubs, buckets, and styros.  Since it wasn't ever more than about a 15 minute trip for me I seldom packed in water and would simply pull the rock and corals and then head over to the new place and add water when there.  Once I got the tank set up again and halfway full I would add the rock and corals along with the water I had poured into whatever container they were in and then top off whatever else was needed.

My move is a short distance 10 min drive top. I don’t have to turn in the keys the same day I’m moving so it give me some time to set make some water in the new place while I get ready for the move. Im thinking of doing a 50 water change. Still debating if I want to get new sand or leave the sand I have in there as is. What you think?