Beefs 40 gallon breeder

beef1020

Wanted to share my tank build and keep a diary of my progression in the hobby.  This is my first marine tank and I am looking forward to learning more.  The display tank is a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon long sump.  Everything is DIY, my helper is in some of the photos, so that includes building the stand, drilling the tank, building the sump, and plumbing everything up.  First water was last weekend, now cycling the tank and waiting.  

Cutting and building:

IMG_20190106_145545792_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.ad3ce39d7b3c1b9a41707ea626cd94af.jpg

As it sits now, planning on using Ikea cabinet doors to skin the frame and cover the bottom trim. Also waiting on Apex to clean up the wiring and associated equipment.

IMG_20190213_220623475.thumb.jpg.a27d40a2e05b6d6fb3875a5f14d1c6d6.jpg

Quite a process, one at times I wish I had not started, but now very much looking forward to filling with coral.

Edited by beef1020

Looks good! Did you cut a hole for the external overflow box and PVC? Will you cover the sides and bottom? Looks like a peninsula tank?

I am going to put IKEA cabinet doors on the tall part of the stand, I have my ato container on the bottom, middle shelf is apex and electronics, top shelf is random fish supplies.  I will cover the sump portion with the same doors, but use magnets instead.

Overflow and return were drilled, using eshopps eclipse small overflow, was easy to set up but it a little louder than i anticipated.  Tanks is set up as a peninsula, on one side is my desk and monitors, the other side is a reading area.  

YHSublime, I picked up the live rock from you, thanks again!

11 hours ago, BowieReefer84 said:

Perfect setup for your first tank. 40gal breeder with 20gal long sump is really great dimensions to work with. Also, large enough to get some cool fish yet small enough not to be a nightmare to maintain. 

That is what I was thinking as well, enough volume to hopefully be stable, but no so big as to be overwhelming.  Still trying to pick out a stock list, thinking clown fish, pink streaked wrasse, not really sure what else.  Would appreciate some suggestions.

I’ve to see it all together! Look forward to watching it grow, I like your idea of covering it up, and I used the exact same overflow, did you put a gate valve on the end to tune it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk