Need suggestions for removing mushrooms from rock

John-Solo

Just thoughts and prayers. One of our members had to powerwash and redo all their rock bc it got so out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove the rock and pressure wash it.  Do not replace the pests.  They took over my tank at one point and were very difficult to get rid of.

Just thoughts and prayers. One of our members had to powerwash and redo all their rock bc it got so out of hand.

“Thought and prayers”

I was hoping to find a way without removing the rock, they are all glued together. Well, looks like I have some work ahead of me.

I have a small horde butting up against some acropora that I'd like to get rid of as well. I tried mashing them all up and cutting the bejesus out of them with a razor blade one day but that only made about 20 of them instead of the three or four I had in that area. I may try injecting them with Aiptasia-X or hitting them with the boiling water like I did to get rid of the couple aiptasia I had. 

3 hours ago, madweazl said:

I have a small horde butting up against some acropora that I'd like to get rid of as well. I tried mashing them all up and cutting the bejesus out of them with a razor blade one day but that only made about 20 of them instead of the three or four I had in that area. I may try injecting them with Aiptasia-X or hitting them with the boiling water like I did to get rid of the couple aiptasia I had. 

I picked up some standard blue mushrooms in a pack with some other corals, in a few weeks I had 5 (started with 2.) I did a water change with some bone clippers and took them right off the rock and siphoned out at the same time. I used epoxy to cover up the space they were just to make sure. 

3 hours ago, John-Solo said:

I was hoping to find a way without removing the rock, they are all glued together. Well, looks like I have some work ahead of me.

Better to address it now than later. 

A long while back, I had some green-striped mushrooms that got out of hand. I eventually had to pull the rock and gouge out every remnant of them. Then, if I later saw that I'd missed something or left a little tissue behind, I'd nuke it with some kalk paste with the pumps off.

Funny, they have been in a small batch on a rock that I got when I first set up my tank 4 years ago. They never left that one area until about 6 months ago and BOOM, they started taking over.

After the suggestion today I sucked as many of them up with the water change I did today. Broke the rocks up and took the one out I wanted them off of. Picked as many as I could off with tweezers then scrubbed the rock with a brush. After that I rinsed it off and scrubbed it again in fresh RODI water. We’ll see how well it works.

I have always been able to reduce their spread.

Power head right on them and they fall off
Cover them with a thick rock and they come off
Also, I only put them on smaller rocks to begin with. If they spread I sell that rock and put a new rock in it's place

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MeganTheProfishional said:

Have you considered just embracing the Mushroom Life?

That's no way to live! 

I have a colony of mushrooms starting to run rampant in my tank. Anyone have suggestions on removing them from unwanted areas?

In one of my previous tanks I was able to control the numbers of mushrooms by injecting the unwanted through the center and into the base with muriatic acid using a syringe I purchased from a pharmacy.
In my case, for much of the purge, I pulled the rock, injected the base of the unwanted, then did a quick rinse of the rock before placing the rock back in the tank. Once I got the numbers under control, I simply injected the unwanted while they were still in the tank.

Just be very careful with the use of the acid (see warning labels on bottle) and also be mindful that its use may have an affect on your tanks alkalinity and PH.

Additionally, the toxins in some mushrooms are very powerful and can cause negative effects to a person if not handled properly. I found this out the hard way and since my mishap, I always wear gloves and eye protection when working with any corals.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last time I did that I was a teenager. Followed a rabbit down some hole, drank a potion, ate a bunch of oysters, found an annoying cat, got absolutely no help from a Caterpillar, and had some crazy lady try and cut off my head.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:22 AM, MeganTheProfishional said:

Is that like having a tank that is basically all mushrooms because the keeper got frustrated and gave up on trying to grow pretty colored sps corals? Or perhaps is too lazy to do water changes so decided to just grow mushrooms, xenia, and gsp, and just got a tang to keep the hair algae out of sight?

Edited by treesprite

Hello. I'm new to this hobby and I'm having trouble growing mushrooms. What do?  2::rollface:
Make sure you have a decent Light, good water Parameters, & some water Flow. And you can't fail!

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Also new to the hobby and wondering about the ricordea coral, do they become a nuisance like blue and pink mushrooms?

Many hobbyist wish! The ricordea don’t propagate as fast in my experience. Yuma will though, as well as pack a pretty heavy sting.