Quarantine tank

Nakie31

On 1/31/2019 at 6:38 PM, WheresTheReef said:

What kind of QT is this? For fish or coral? When you say it's cycled, do you mean the QT is cycled?

Nice question! I read it as “since the DT is cycled”.  Most people try to keep their QTs close to bare (think LFS tanks) to reduce the possible spread and proliferation of various pests, so they shouldn’t really need to cycle.

Thanks for the reminder. I was hoping for better context from the OP, but I’ll give my 2 cents on each.

I think it makes sense for a coral QT (especially if fishless) since it provides a source of nutrients and may ease acclimation into the DT as parameters become closer to each other. However, if this is for a fish QT then I would say no. Fish QT IMO serves to observe fish and help them get used to the food you feed with less competition. Less stress and be able to treat for parasites if necessary. The aim here is to keep water in great shape so new saltwater for water changes helps keep the tank cleaner. In both cases I would use caution as anything wet can introduce parasites from the QT into the DT. This is why you typically use separate equipment for each.

The mention of using water from the DT since it is cycled wouldn’t be very helpful if are hoping for beneficial bacteria to help in the QT. While there is some bacteria in the water, most of it really lives on surfaces. The QT would benefit more in this case from bringing over a piece of live rock.

Agree with the post above. There isn't much beneficial bacteria in the water; it's mostly on surfaces.

I keep my coral and fish quarantines as separate as possible. My coral QT gets its own water changes. My fish QT's get their own new saltwater daily (ammonia reduction).

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk