Rebounding Goniopora frag

WheresTheReef

I have a goniopora frag that went through a rough time. Lost most of the polyps, but 6 have rebounded well over the last couple months. The skeleton has a little algae growth now as seen below. Will it impede its tissue from encrusting? Should I just leave the old skeleton or should I cut it back? Looking for some experienced advice. Thanks!

large.IMG_20190128_212428.jpg.31933bc12b475d6cebb977a6352c07c6.jpg

I really can't tell you what you should do but I did pick up a half dead one a month or so ago at the same state as yours. I offered to pay at a discount. I did not touch it after placing it in my tank and just let it grow. It looks decent and growing more polyps. Just my own experience. 57701c2977532f86999b6b9d97954297.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Love this! Glad to hear it is doing well for you! Any ideas how you got it to rebound?

IME, corals regrow well over old skeletons, if there are no sharp points, sponges, algae, etc. I'd just keep doing what you're doing! Keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I didn’t do anything too special. I had it in a QT that isn’t as established as I’d like. It closed up and stayed like that for a while. I moved it over to a lower light corner in one of my main tanks. Most polyps died rapidly, but the remaining ones started showing signs of life and were out in a few days. Just found a happy place for it. I feed my fish pretty heavily so I think that adds a lot. I just purchased some Goniopower and will see if it helps. I remember Justin Credabel talking about it so thought I would try it out. I also just put a new goni in the QT from our last meeting. So far it looks good.