Skimmer overflowing

GOSKN5

Well I transferred everything over to my new 180 last weekend. About half established rock and half new rock.. about half new water and half established water...

My skimmer will not stop overflowing. Is it normal for it to overflow for over a week?

It's in the same depth water etc.. I did break it down and cleaned it well with vinegar... I hate running the tank with no skimmer!! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It could be that you had some die-off of sponges and such that are triggering the overactive skimmer. It could also be new filter socks - they're known to do that, too. Have you tried dialing it back some? It may take a day or two for things to settle.

It could be that you had some die-off of sponges and such that are triggering the overactive skimmer. It could also be new filter socks - they're known to do that, too. Have you tried dialing it back some? It may take a day or two for things to settle.

Yea its dialed back as far as possible.. and it's been 7 days...

I’ve had similar happen but not for that long.  But you have to remember, you did change a lot at one time.  Though the new set-up consists of half old (water, rocks, etc), half of the things in the tank are new and you still have the same bioload.  The new substrates may just be going through a mini cycle (and possibly even a mini curing).  I would have also done what you did (dialing the skimmer back), however if you have other forms of filtration, I wouldn’t stress the skimmer too much right now.  If it is bearable, give it another 5 weeks and I’m sure the skimmer will be performing normally.

(This is assuming you checked the skimmer for clogs, and all fittings correctly assembled)

That's a pretty long time but things could be breaking in. Here are some ideas to help you pull out stuff it there's stuff to pull out:

• Check your salinity to make sure it's not too high. Make sure your measurement device is calibrated.
  • Check your air inlet (all the way through the venturi) to make sure that you don't have a blockage. 
  • If your skimmer outlet is under water and basically sealed (that is, an inverted L shape), then raise the end out of the water - you may have a trapped bubble reducing exit flow.
  • If your pump is adjustable, (e.g. has an inlet adjustment or is a DC pump) dial it back.
  • If it's not a recircuilating skimmer, raise it in the sump a little to give the pump a little more head pressure to push against.

Yea I checked all the tubing etc..

If I raise it up so its sitting in about 5 inches of water it doesnt overflow... still very foamy skim tho..