Jump to content
tom39

External skimmer defuser

5 posts / 285 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

 

My setup utilizes an external skimmer that is housed in a closet to the right of my DT. To feed the skimmer, water is pumped from the sump, which is located under the DT, through 2 walls and to the skimmer. The return takes a similar route and is returned to the sump. The fall in plumbing from the output of the skimmer to the water surface in the sump is about 16" and travels about 36". During the return to the sump, the water picks up a bit of speed and prior to building my defuser caused quite a bit of noise, salt creep, micro-bubbles and  splashing. In an effort to reduce all 4 of these negative effects I put together about 5 renditions before settling on this one, which by the way works flawlessly.

How it works: The valve at the end of the pipe is the main point of exit. This valve is used to throttle the exit of water to allow only 99% of water pass. This causes the water to climb in height inside the defuser until it reaches the 90* elbows (bypass line) where the remaining 1% of water is allowed to trickle to the water surface of the sump. Because there is so little water going down the bypass line it tends to run down the walls and create only the smallest of streams entering the sump. This effect creates no nose, salt creep, micro-bubbles or splashing.  

 

Anyway, I thought that I would share what I have come up with in case anyone who uses an external skimmer has a similar situation and is looking for a solution.

 

 

Thanks for looking,

Tom G 

 

It was really hard to get a pick while it was installed but I hope they help with the understanding of how it works.

20190122_100516.thumb.jpg.f662bb850e51eb0d1880f3240b0b7cc0.jpg

20190122_100539.thumb.jpg.ee3aafa3aab8441098baf3f4abc5e4c0.jpg

20190122_121130.thumb.jpg.c181575bb50f4e03431d8da06ea07e42.jpg

20190122_121138.thumb.jpg.5e99c24d26c90be27cb94bc01d47beb0.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a great idea.  And you don't have to worry about the valve clogging because it will just blow more out the extra clear pipe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good job being creative! So the straight pvc pipe ends right about at the water surface?
Yes, just a little bit above the surface. With it being above the surface, it allows me to hear that there is an issue with the flow through the valve.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's a great idea.  And you don't have to worry about the valve clogging because it will just blow more out the extra clear pipe.
Thanks, I am very happy with the results. Not worrying about an overflow problem is certainly a plus.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...