DEAD PLATE CORALS - Don't throw them away

hlem

Yeah, they can surprise you that way. It doesn't take much living tissue to regenerate a completely new fungia.

1 minute ago, Origami said:

Yeah, they can surprise you that way. It doesn't take much living tissue to regenerate a completely new fungia.

I have had this happen before. but they came back after only a few months, but this one is way over a year, maybe even 2-3 years.

Are you sure that are plate coral bro ? Maybe some type of Aptaisa lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)
7 minutes ago, NamReefs said:

Are you sure that are plate coral bro ? Maybe some type of Aptaisa lol

Maybe lol

orange Aps would be cool 

Edited by hlem

Maybe lol

orange Aps would be cool 

You better share if you even find out bro :))

4 minutes ago, NamReefs said:

You better share if you even find out bro :))

I got you, You’ll be the first I’ll share with

1 hour ago, hlem said:

I have had this happen before. but they came back after only a few months, but this one is way over a year, maybe even 2-3 years.

Really? That long? That's incredible. Maybe something else has settled on the old skeleton, then. It's worth watching. It's just one of the things that makes this hobby so interesting.

Some friends in McLean had a purple & green plate coral that was dying some years ago and it started throwing out babies - many of them - as the mother coral gradually died off. I received one of the babies when it was about nickel-sized. Then, some months back, I suffered a heavy metal problem that started wiping things out. The plate coral, which by then had grown to 3 to 3.5" across started dying back. I thought it was gone but decided to leave the skeleton on the bottom just in case. Then, one day, I saw a small piece of tissue rising between a pair of septa. It gradually grew and, today, is about the size of a quarter and appears to still be attached to the old skeleton (though I've not tried to move or remove it). It seems happy enough right now, so I'll just let it continue to grow. In this case, though, only a few months had passed - not a few years.

Keep us posted on it. If it's another fungia, it would be an awesome example of life hanging on.