2 quick questions on acrylic glue and heaters

DaveS

got 2 easy questions for the WAMAS collective:

1) I want to seal a PVC fitting for an acrylic cylinder- flat thing against round thing.  It needs to be water tight so thick like an epoxy that can fill the space around the surfaces.  The Weldon I have is the liquid version and I know there's a thicker one but trying to avoid hunting around for it and buying way too much.  Any other suggestions?  I'm thinking Aquamend but other idea are welcome.  

2) what's the latest and greatest for submersible heaters?  Finnex?  Cobalt?  I have the Ehiem Jager but I remember that they went down in quality.  Here are my old ones.  They got some water in them and corrosion on the elements.  I got 7-10 years out of them so time for replacements.  Not worth the risk.

image.thumb.png.c7b95f8d6d35d331679879881d0153d1.png

I still stick to Marineland Visi-therms (I've never had one fail knock on wood) when it comes to heaters. The only other one I'd use would be the Eheim/Jager but their size can be an issue sometimes (doesn't seem to be the case for you). 

Edited by madweazl

Thanks for the I out so far.

normally I would go the uniseal route bit the fitting is mostly glued into the body so I don’t want to rip it out. There is a decent bead on the outside. I’m just looking to put in an extra bead on the inside. 

Maybe i I should start a thread for the rebuild with some pictures.

well, part of my problem solved.  Found a Eheim heater that looks pretty new as well as a cobalt.  Guess that's taken care of.  Still looking for input on the epoxy. Annoying part is, I did this years ago and it just peeled off.  I can't remember what I used!

As for the heater... even though they are “submersible” I have had water enter into several heaters. I started keeping the top of heaters above water and have yet to have water enter again (knock on wood lol).

Weldon 16 can be used to fill gaps or build up a fillet. You may have to take several runs at it. But, it's a medium bodied cement that should have no issues with either the acrylic or PVC, and will give you a decent weld.

The older Ebo-Jager heaters were better. Eheim-Jager slightly less, but still good.