New to WAMAS and DC

Hi All!

My name is Zac. I just moved to the area in the last few weeks and when I saw there was a local marine aquarium society I knew I had to join (I have previously been a member of CMAS in Chicago). I have been reefing for about 15 yrs and currently have a 45 gal mixed reef (constant moving has prevented anything larger). I'm glad to be here and can't wait to explore the local reefing scene. One quick question: what is your favorite LFS for SPS? Tanks all!

Hey Zac, welcome to WAMAS! Are you able to come to the meeting next Saturday? You'll get to meet a lot of folks, and there should be a good amount of local vendors there. We also have a very active buy/sell/trade forum. 

Do you have any pictures of your reef? I'm also rocking about 35 gallons total, so I can dig it!

Cheers!

Welcome to the club, Zac. I hope that you'll be able to join us at our next meeting (which is coming up next Saturday). 

Fifteen years is a good bit of experience. 

If you're visiting us using a regular browser, you'll see a tab near the top of the page that links to an LFS map. You can use that as a starting point to visit some of the stores near you. 

Welcome to WAMAS!  

I see you’re in Silver Spring.  There’s a nice store (Tropical Lagoon) on Georgia Ave that I frequent as it is the closest to me.  It isn’t large, but always seem to have exactly what I want.  Ie. 2 weeks back I decided I was finally ready to add a tang to my system (due to possible aggression I like to add them last-is).  I didn’t want the typical yellow or hippo tangs and decided to try a flame fin tomini.  I went there after work just to look at some corals, and sure enough they had 1.  Plus the staff there is pretty nice ? 

On 1/19/2019 at 9:49 PM, YHSublime said:

Hey Zac, welcome to WAMAS! Are you able to come to the meeting next Saturday? You'll get to meet a lot of folks, and there should be a good amount of local vendors there. We also have a very active buy/sell/trade forum. 

Do you have any pictures of your reef? I'm also rocking about 35 gallons total, so I can dig it!

Cheers!

Thanks YHSublime! I do plan on coming to the meeting on Saturday and am looking forward to it. The buy/sell/trade forum sounds great (I have too many electric green trumpets and need to find them a good home). 

Some pictures of my reef are below. It's a bit bare right now as I just upgraded to the 45 from a 28 when I moved in a few weeks ago and had a bit of an acro crash about 9 months before that (yay red bugs!) so my sps game is pretty weak right now. I'm looking forward to building it back up again.

20190121_111009[1].jpg

20190121_120739[1].jpg

On 1/19/2019 at 9:56 PM, Origami said:

Welcome to the club, Zac. I hope that you'll be able to join us at our next meeting (which is coming up next Saturday). 

Fifteen years is a good bit of experience. 

If you're visiting us using a regular browser, you'll see a tab near the top of the page that links to an LFS map. You can use that as a starting point to visit some of the stores near you. 

Hi Origami,

Thanks! I am planning on coming on Saturday and looking forward to it. The LFS map was really helpful. I visited Supreme reefs yesterday and picked up some awesome stuff. It was exactly what I was looking for!

16 hours ago, DFR said:

Welcome to WAMAS!  

I see you’re in Silver Spring.  There’s a nice store (Tropical Lagoon) on Georgia Ave that I frequent as it is the closest to me.  It isn’t large, but always seem to have exactly what I want.  Ie. 2 weeks back I decided I was finally ready to add a tang to my system (due to possible aggression I like to add them last-is).  I didn’t want the typical yellow or hippo tangs and decided to try a flame fin tomini.  I went there after work just to look at some corals, and sure enough they had 1.  Plus the staff there is pretty nice ? 

Thanks DFR! Tropical Lagoon is an awesome store. They definitely have a great selection of fish and inverts. I think I even know the Tomini you got (my fiancee really wanted me to buy it but it's going to get a bit big for my set-up). They will definitely be my regular go-to store.

Hi Zac !  Im in Silver Spring also, Tropical Lagoon is great in selections and prices, it's my favorite LFS, whatever Steve doesn't have he can order for you and they get new saltwater stuff in every Weds so I'm always there on Weds or Thurs.  If you want some GSP for your tank lemme know, I'm the master at growing GSP lol.