My Coral Rehabilitation Project

ReefdUp

Wow! How did you even know there was any living tissue on that one?
Haha, right? One LFS I used to frequent just had a tub of skeletons that they used as live rock rubble. I used a UV pen light to search for any signs of life. (I get fairly desperate for new projects sometimes!)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, right? One LFS I used to frequent just had a tub of skeletons that they used as live rock rubble. I used a UV pen light to search for any signs of life. (I get fairly desperate for new projects sometimes!)

Coral by the pound!

On 2/2/2019 at 2:13 PM, Origami said:

Coral by the pound!

:lol:

This is one of my favorites, and I still have it (even though it's usually brownish-green - the white squiggles are a challenge to maintain).  It has been with me in Utah, Nevada, and now Virginia.  It got some sort of infection on the way here, so I'm having to re-rehabilitate it.  Ugh.

Slide46.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
Just saw in the announcement of our spring meeting that you will be the speaker. Congrats, looking forward to your talk!
Thank you! I had to hold off posting more photos for a bit - can't show all of my photos beforehand!

I grabbed over 15 rescues this weekend to work on, but they're all teeny bits. I need to find some larger pieces to work on.

19 minutes ago, ReefdUp said:

I grabbed over 15 rescues this weekend to work on, but they're all teeny bits. I need to find some larger pieces to work on.

Teeny bits + Nikki Magic + macro lens = huge pictures = drooling audience :)

Teeny bits + Nikki Magic + macro lens = huge pictures = drooling audience
Hahaha! Awesome. This is definitely humbling my photography skills though. All I have is a point-and-shoot... and a modified cell phone to act as a microscope. Ehhhh. Maybe for mother's day... That's what all the mothers ask for... a microscope... right?

Deep breath... this might not work... but... I just dealt with another case of brown jelly last week, and the coral survived. I lost three polyps on two colonies of ricordea, but they are now recovering after treatment. I'll post up more, but I'm too excited to contain myself. No clue if it was just coincidence or why it works...

For brown jelly, I've had success (two instances on three species of coral... no formal diagnosis of cause) using the zoa pox treatment with Furan 2. That's it. Photos and details to come.

Nikki, I'll be reaching out to you soon. Sorry, I've been swamped at work for a bit and it'll continue that way for a few more months.

Anyway, guess who's in an ad running in Coral Magazine this month? 

small.Nikki_Bridges_Ad.png.9b444689faa14

Nikki, I'll be reaching out to you soon. Sorry, I've been swamped at work for a bit and it'll continue that way for a few more months.

Anyway, guess who's in an ad running in Coral Magazine this month? 

small.Nikki_Bridges_Ad.png.9b444689faa144aee7701e50fbc8d1cc.png

Do whaaaaat?! Wooo hoo! Thanks for that awesome plug!

Clearly I've been swamped a bit too. Hopefully things calm down for you soon... unless it is fun chaos.

RIP to the purple tang. Just out of curiosity, what did you do to help reverse the HLLE?
Hey! Thanks for the condolences. That was about 8 years ago, so I'll have to dig through my notes if I can find them.

I remember that it had ich and the HLLE when I received it. I started it in hyposalinity, and then I think I remember it also getting velvet. That part is a bit fuzzy, but I remember some freshwater dips. At the time I was a fan of copper and formalin, so I might've used those.

After treating for everything, I didn't do anything specific for the HLLE. I kept fresh or sheet algae available 24/7, and I fed my homemade food (variation of the BLU coral method from back in the day). I had a healthy tank, and it recovered on its own.

I don't remember the history of the tank it came out of... so I can't remember what might've been associated with the HLLE.

Sorry that doesn't help much. When I get some time I'll try to dig up more info from my notes.

2 hours ago, ReefdUp said:

Hey! Thanks for the condolences. That was about 8 years ago, so I'll have to dig through my notes if I can find them.

I remember that it had ich and the HLLE when I received it. I started it in hyposalinity, and then I think I remember it also getting velvet. That part is a bit fuzzy, but I remember some freshwater dips. At the time I was a fan of copper and formalin, so I might've used those.

After treating for everything, I didn't do anything specific for the HLLE. I kept fresh or sheet algae available 24/7, and I fed my homemade food (variation of the BLU coral method from back in the day). I had a healthy tank, and it recovered on its own.

I don't remember the history of the tank it came out of... so I can't remember what might've been associated with the HLLE.

Sorry that doesn't help much. When I get some time I'll try to dig up more info from my notes.

Thank you, looking forward to hearing more about coral and fish restoration efforts.

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, maevepotter said:

I am so excited to meet you tomorrow. I was super bummed to have missed your talk in the Spring. :)

:wig: Looking forward to meeting you as well!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 7:22 AM, ReefdUp said:

:wig: Looking forward to meeting you as well!

Nicole!

I am so sad that I am just reading this in full and realizing how incredibly talented you are at coral rehab!  This is insane.  Definitely sad to have missed your talk in the spring as well.  Congrats on the awesome work.  

• 4 weeks later...

I love the Weso-trachy-whatever!

Great job!!!!  This is amazing work Nicole!  You should be working on coral reef restoration projects in the wild!

6 hours ago, TrueTricia said:

I love the Weso-trachy-whatever!

Great job!!!!  This is amazing work Nicole!  You should be working on coral reef restoration projects in the wild!

Thanks! After my experience in Curacao, I definitely prefer working with coral with two feet on the ground! And, I can't quit my day job just yet! ?  Maybe I'll do this full-time in retirement.

• 4 months later...

I'm trying a new format to demonstrate changes over time.  I'd appreciate any feedback (before I do more!)

3yibp2.gif

It's cool, but is there a way to slow it down? I personally enjoy the side by side shots of the before and after better.