Open Brain detached from skeleton, flesh still alive

fellterrier

I'll post pictures up later but this is really strange. My Trachyphyllia geoffroyi was look king of weird, like it was splitting into two, this was going on for a few weeks. Last week, the flesh started to pull away from the skeleton. Not in your typical fashion like what they do when they are dying and denigrate but actually pulling away its flesh in its entirety and remaining intact and inflated. Currently the flesh is still alive and doing well. I've never seen this before, It's strange. Anyone else has experience with this?

Edited by fellterrier
more info

33 minutes ago, bues0022 said:

Whoa. Pics or it didn’t happen!!

Haha

Has this piece been in your system for a long time?  It could be a number of things, but I would first suggest looking at light iif none of your other corals show signs of stress.

One of my first stony corals was also of this family and I placed it in the bottom 1/4 of my aquarium.  I later discovered that even that was too intense lighting.  Over a matter of months I kept moving it lower until it was eventually on the sand, all the way in the back of my tank in what I would call completely shaded.  Though it was still “inflated”, it kept pulling away from the skeleton until it was in the dark.  These have a slower metabolism so it’ll probably be a while before you start seeing noticeable growth again.

0b2240136f8070fb4b049a321ab32cf4.jpg

This is the aftermath. Fully inflated flesh. Its been a week and it’s doing fine. It removed itself from the entire original skeleton. I never seen anything like this before and I’m 20 years into this hobby. I have two in the tank. The other one is dong fine. I don’t want to disturb the flesh as it appears to be fine. I honestly believed it basically wanted to move for some reason and did it that way. Like I said earlier it was looking like it was splitting but I guess it just wanted to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen it with lots of other species, and I think it may be a defensive attempt during stress to relocate itself. But, I haven't seen them regrow a skeleton even months later. I'd put it in a shallow dish with sand to keep it from moving around more. And... hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

It is interesting. The other one shows no signs of this and they were purchased at the same time. Nature is funny. Never seen or heard anything like this before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that is interesting. Not what I was originally imagining, but I don’t have the most experience with LPS.  Hoping for the best.

I’ve had a couple of favias do something similar (I recall it happening a handful of times) and at the time we’re perfectly happy and healthy colonies. Each time, I let the flesh “settle” and when I saw growth, I moved to a drag disc or a piece of old monti cap and glued it down and they continued to grow. I have one in my tank right now that has about 6 heads now and just looks like a normal frag. Biggest thing was just not letting them get pushed around or disturbed by snails/hermits or buried. 

Jon