Scoly ate my Nem...

hlem

Literally my scoly ate my nem...

turned on my frag tank light this morning, and noticed one of my nem is missing, tank is pretty open with no real hidden place for it to crawl into. Then I saw bits of tentacle near 2 of my scolies, took a closer look and saw half of what looks like an anemones foot on top of the scolies, used my tong to remove it, and what do I see more? Anemones bits inside the scolies mouth....

has anyone seen this before? 

Edited by hlem

Just now, ImGoingCoastal said:

Pics or it didn't happen! Haha

-A-a-ron

Yes I have pics. First thing I did :) going to post it when I get home from work. 

Do you have some kind of open blade pump in the tank like a gyre or vortech pump? Maybe the anemone got chopped up by that and the Scoly just took advantage of the anemone soup floating around?

4 minutes ago, Matt LeBaron said:

Do you have some kind of open blade pump in the tank like a gyre or vortech pump? Maybe the anemone got chopped up by that and the Scoly just took advantage of the anemone soup floating around?

I have 2 pumps on opposite side of the tank. one is a tunze, and the other is  jebao (not the gyre kind). Usually if a nem get stuck in one, it wont get suck all the way thru (this has happened to me before). You usually see most of the nem if it did. 

Very interesting.

Were the anemone and the scoly near each other, such that the scoly might have stung the nem and, after it released, drew it in? Or is there any reason to think that the nem was unhappy and on the move, and wandered in too close to a hungry scoly?

8 minutes ago, Origami said:

Very interesting.

Were the anemone and the scoly near each other, such that the scoly might have stung the nem and, after it released, drew it in? Or is there any reason to think that the nem was unhappy and on the move, and wandered in too close to a hungry scoly?

The nems were moving around for a few days. They were just moved to the frag tank from my DT so they haven’t settled. It was pretty close to the scoly last night as well.  

The scolies arent dying, they actually are coming back, been like this for a few months. so it wasnt the nem that did it.  

The nems bits are still in the mouth 50925319_10104867934427337_3354241313531

50288833_10104867934467257_7108365819150

This is what I found still ontop of the red scoly

50528981_10104867934542107_3438621873116

Being that the anemone segments are larger than the recovering scolies, I would also lean towards the anemone being damaged by equipment in the tank.  Also I don’t know of any corals that can rip other organisms apart as they are simpler organisms that essentially only have a mouth and stomach.

(edited)
23 minutes ago, DFR said:

Being that the anemone segments are larger than the recovering scolies, I would also lean towards the anemone being damaged by equipment in the tank.  Also I don’t know of any corals that can rip other organisms apart as they are simpler organisms that essentially only have a mouth and stomach.

No clue. I checked the powerhead and no sign of nem parts.

even if the power head got it first, it’s really convenient for all the nem bits to lay around the two nems. 

Im think it got ripped apart because it was eaten by both scolies, 

whichever happen, i just lost a nice RBTA, but two well fed scolies. lol

Edited by hlem

Anemones are mostly water. It might surprise a lot of people just how small they can be when distressed. Many years ago, I had ond get pulled into a pump shroud. Fully opened, it was probably six or seven inches. Caught in the shroud, intact and not shredded, it was an irregular disk about the size of a quarter and about a half-inch thick. I was able to extract most of it from the shroud and, over the next couple of weeks, it gradually reinflated.

I think that, given the lack of anemone parts in other pars of the tank, including the pump, it's more likely become an unusual morsel for the opportunistic scolies.

17 hours ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

Those scolies are evil. I will gladly dispense of them for you. I'll come get them tomorrow. emoji847.png

-A-a-ron

There you go. Members helping members, selflessly putting himself between you and disaster. The sacrifices we make sometimes....  Respect.