Is this really an oregon tort?

lynn.reef.nerd

1 hour ago, marinap said:

DSC_0057_zpsc8467b43.jpg

In high light cali tort ^^ will be all blue without green, but it is still different hue of blue than Oregon. Yours in not OT.

That is  a beautiful coral. All your corals are nice.

6 hours ago, AlanM said:

oh, Matt, I just looked at the picture.  I originally got that one from ridetheducati, I think, and he just called it a "teal tort" if that's the one I'm thinking of.  The growth looks like the one I had.

It's the one on the right side of this picture:

IMG_20170115_172712_zpsa3pfqgsw.jpg

Yep that's it on the right there. Slow grower but still doing well.

This thread has been an interesting lesson in how I am just going to stop using the designer names for things. Honestly it's all a bit silly since corals look different in different tanks, I'm actually kind of surprised that the tort I got from you has still basically retained its coloration and growth pattern in my tank as my experience over the years has been that corals change color in my tank fairly significantly. I have some smaller colonies in my tank where you can still pick out the original frag piece and their new growth pattern is very different in my tank vs what they came to me as.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:22 AM, Matt LeBaron said:

Any idea whether the coral on the right may be an Oregon tort? I know the naming thing is extremely hit or miss but are there other torts that are close to the Oregon that this could be? I was told it's an Oregon tort but think I may just be better off calling it a blue tort, not that I really know how you verify the lineage of almost any coral without a seriously clear path back to some original.

Tort.jpg

Hey can you get a better picture of that coral where we can see what the coralites look like better?  They look too sharp to be a tort and I really like how blue it is but it could just be your lighting.

Here's a closeup of it, Piper27.  This is zoomed way in with lights tuned so that it looked "natural" on the camera, not so blue-tinged.  As you can see it's mostly teal blue with a bit of pink in the base.

1579068361_IMG_2037(Medium).thumb.jpg.652f1421f2334e2c6d9a54be31429b05.jpg

Alan correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this is the same coral that I got as scrapings from your overflow at your tank breakdown. Just wanted to give another example of the growth pattern.

gallery_2634913_1623_181807.jpg

9 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

Alan correct me if I’m wrong, but I think this is the same coral that I got as scrapings from your overflow at your tank breakdown. Just wanted to give another example of the growth pattern.

gallery_2634913_1623_181807.jpg

Wow... I am happy to have a piece of this guy! It's like  a part of WAMAS history. Whatever the name... can we just call it the WAMAS tort?

I have a feeling it is one of my old austera (or what was sold as a.austera by liveaquaria). A few folks here got frags from me like 7-8 years ago. 

Edited by marinap

On 1/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, Piper27 said:

Hey can you get a better picture of that coral where we can see what the coralites look like better?  They look too sharp to be a tort and I really like how blue it is but it could just be your lighting.

20190121_095616.thumb.jpg.4ef577e9a1d7be7667721b4bd21030b8.jpg

Here's a close up with my crappy cell camera but it's good enough to see the color and growth pattern. This picture was taken under very white light, which is one reason I am a fan of this particular coral as I am not a huge fan of the blue look and it still looks awesome under a more normal balanced spectrum. The larger colony shot above was taken with my blues turned up a bit, not the straight blues I see a lot of people use but more than this picture. It looks like a tort to me but I'm by no means an expert on coral identification, I tend to pick out a few corals I really like and grow them out into large colonies and I am also generally a fan of Millepora's, which are very easy to identify.

10 hours ago, BtmDweller said:

There’s another blue or blue green tort! I’m going to just name my corals by color. emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I'm with you on that. I'm just going to post a picture of the colonies and let people decide from there. This whole naming business is a pain in the ass and not worth it when I have colony shots I can just show.

1 hour ago, Matt LeBaron said:

I'm with you on that. I'm just going to post a picture of the colonies and let people decide from there. This whole naming business is a pain in the ass and not worth it when I have colony shots I can just show.

Matt, I think you sold me that frag and you were sure at that time that it was indeed an oregon tort.  Naming can be a PITA but also should be used whenever lineage can be proven.  

Just now, gioNVA said:

Matt, I think you sold me that frag and you were sure at that time that it was indeed an oregon tort.  Naming can be a PITA but also should be used whenever lineage can be proven.  

For some strains, that's entirely reasonable. However, the Oregon Tort's so common that, unless you're an old timer in the hobby who has that evidence, it's hard to establish it as fact. Instead, it's more likely to be a story of "it was sold to me as xyz."  As long as buyers accurately state their knowledge and buyers are willing to ask, there's no real harm being done. It's marketing.

The Purple Monster that bbyatv (Bruce) has is a local exception to the rule - he has credible lineage on this strain.

4 hours ago, Origami said:

For some strains, that's entirely reasonable. However, the Oregon Tort's so common that, unless you're an old timer in the hobby who has that evidence, it's hard to establish it as fact. Instead, it's more likely to be a story of "it was sold to me as xyz."  As long as buyers accurately state their knowledge and buyers are willing to ask, there's no real harm being done. It's marketing.

The Purple Monster that bbyatv (Bruce) has is a local exception to the rule - he has credible lineage on this strain.

I mean I was told it was Oregon tort but I didn't ask for breeding papers on it. ;) To me it looked like Oregon tort, I mean it's definitely a tort, the growth pattern is correct for one so I never had any reason to question it. But I'm going to take this as a lesson learned and just sell any future corals as nameless, not worth the hassle otherwise and I'm not trying to "market" anything just sell off extras when I have to trim my corals down to not grow into each other.

It is interesting to see littlelise1985's picture as that is very likely the same coral (AlanM didn't have two torts that I remember) but it looks very purple to me and definitely looks different than mine on the coloration front even though they're the same coral. I would be curious to see what would happen if you put a frag of mine next to littlelise1985's to see if they would grow into each other or attack each other as foreign entities. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they did grow into each other would the different pieces retain their different colors I wonder. 

FYI, I found the post where Tony advertised the coral that I posted the picture of.  I think we're posting about two different corals in this thread. Or maybe more than two.  That one that I posted the high-res picture of was sold to me in this post:

The color in his tank is a bit different, but it's the same coral as that big one that was on the back of my tank that I sold and that some folks got off my overflow.  He just calls it a tortuosa, so he came to the conclusion as Matt did.