Is this really an oregon tort?

lynn.reef.nerd

Could very well be.  Deep blue with highlights of purple and a touch of green are not unusual for the Oregon Tort (A. tortuosa). Other common characteristics of this variety include irregular and curving radial corallites and a less-pronounced axial corallite. It's a slow grower, but a nice coral. 

10 minutes ago, Origami said:

Could very well be.  Deep blue with highlights of purple and a touch of green are not unusual for the Oregon Tort (A. tortuosa). Other common characteristics of this variety include irregular and curving radial corallites and a less-pronounced axial corallite. It's a slow grower, but a nice coral. 

Thank you. It's actually the fastest growing on in my tank... another reason I was iffy.

Slow growing can be relative. I had one about ten years ago that grew well for me. Unfortunately, I lost it seven years ago in a tank crash following a move to our current home when I stupidly tried eliminating a bunch of toxic palythoas (what I like to call Outlaw Palys after former member Steve Outlaw who attracted international attention when, in an effort to rid himself of the nuissance palys, boiled his rock and wound up in the hospital with serious symptoms of palytoxin exposure). In the process, I managed to nuke the tank, losing 80% of my corals and about half my fish. 

An example of a faster growing A. totuosa is the California Tort. Besides the difference in color (the Cali tort has more green in the base even into the branches), the axial corallite is typically longer and much lighter as this is where growth is most evident. The lighter colored tips in Acropora are halmarks of growth.

5 minutes ago, Origami said:

Slow growing can be relative. I had one about ten years ago that grew well for me. Unfortunately, I lost it seven years ago in a tank crash following a move to our current home when I stupidly tried eliminating a bunch of toxic palythoas (what I like to call Outlaw Palys after former member Steve Outlaw who attracted international attention when, in an effort to rid himself of the nuissance palys, boiled his rock and wound up in the hospital with serious symptoms of palytoxin exposure). In the process, I managed to nuke the tank, losing 80% of my corals and about half my fish.  

An example of a faster growing A. totuosa is the California Tort. Besides the difference in color (the Cali tort has more green in the base even into the branches), the axial corallite is typically longer and much lighter as this is where growth is most evident. The lighter colored tips in Acropora are halmarks of growth.

Thank you! It did grow quite a bit after the tank change. That probably might be why i see the color difference on the tips.

Did you get it from a wamas member?  I bought one a while ago and it was sold as an oregon tort.  It was a fast grower and eventually turned to a lighter blue color with green/purple.  Sadly, i dont think it is an oregon tort. I had one of the original frags a long time ago and it was a really slow grower and the shade of blue was just a really deep shade of blue that glows. 

Edited by gioNVA

People get Cali tort and Oregon tort mixed up all the time. Similar names, colors and growth. The easiest difference is Cali tort usually has a green base but sometimes it doesn’t and that’s when it’s harder to tell a difference. That’s definitely the Oregon. Really awesome piece 

That’s Oregon. And it’s looking nice as well.

Here’s the cali:
c601dbfbe82d62a375a0994048a89e67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gioNVA said:

Did you get it from a wamas member?  I bought one a while ago and it was sold as an oregon tort.  It was a fast grower and eventually turned to a lighter blue color with green/purple.  Sadly, i dont think it is an oregon tort. I had one of the original frags a long time ago and it was a really slow grower and the shade of blue was just a really deep shade of blue that glows. 

oops.  I just read my post and what I mean was that the one I got from a WAMAS member wasn't an oregon tort.  Yours look like it is.   Here's my oregon tort that I got from reef chief in VA over 10 years ago.  

20090820-DSC_0131.jpg

Edited by gioNVA

Are there other tortuosa varieties out there than Cali and Oregon? Those are the only two I’ve ever heard about but I was wondering.

14 minutes ago, Matt LeBaron said:

Are there other tortuosa varieties out there than Cali and Oregon? Those are the only two I’ve ever heard about but I was wondering.

Lots more

20 minutes ago, Matt LeBaron said:

Absolutely. These names mean little except to a collector that is concerned with coloration, growth form, or other (largely) visual characteristics. There's not even a very reliable way of tracing lineage back to the original "named" coral, so most varieties pick up the name based on the defining characteristics of the original.

A. Tortuosa is more commonly known as a "tort." You'll find many torts out there that may be colored differently. Yellow torts, green torts, blue torts, blue-green torts, etc. as well as other "named" torts (e.g Miyagi tort).

Any idea whether the coral on the right may be an Oregon tort? I know the naming thing is extremely hit or miss but are there other torts that are close to the Oregon that this could be? I was told it's an Oregon tort but think I may just be better off calling it a blue tort, not that I really know how you verify the lineage of almost any coral without a seriously clear path back to some original.

Tort.jpg

Any idea whether the coral on the right may be an Oregon tort? I know the naming thing is extremely hit or miss but are there other torts that are close to the Oregon that this could be? I was told it's an Oregon tort but think I may just be better off calling it a blue tort, not that I really know how you verify the lineage of almost any coral without a seriously clear path back to some original.

Tort.thumb.jpg.6380dccf135a970e47a525d60a5caa85.jpg

I only know one person that actively sells OT on WAMAS. If it came from them, then it’s legit. W/out lineage, can’t really make it up. That’s why I try to just buy what looks good, not names. Your piece looks great, could be... hard to say without lineage. that’s just my opinion though, I could be off base.

No defiantly not a tort.  It looks more like something along the lines of a hoek or something, I forget the name of the one I think it is right now.  It is a really nice coral though IMO, I would love to have a chunk of it in my tank...

If it's the blue tort that I sold to Matt a few years ago, then I got it from copps and he called it a "blue monster tort" at the time.

oh, Matt, I just looked at the picture.  I originally got that one from ridetheducati, I think, and he just called it a "teal tort" if that's the one I'm thinking of.  The growth looks like the one I had.

It's the one on the right side of this picture:

IMG_20170115_172712_zpsa3pfqgsw.jpg

oh, Matt, I just looked at the picture.  I originally got that one from ridetheducati, I think, and he just called it a "teal tort" if that's the one I'm thinking of.  The growth looks like the one I had.

It's the one on the right side of this picture:

IMG_20170115_172712_zpsa3pfqgsw.jpg
It definitely look like the coloring I am having from mine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I wonder if Tony is still setup, I got some great OG acros from him that I would like again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, could that be the "hulk milli" that he used to sell?  It might be.  I'm sorry that I just don't remember, heh.
Either way, it is a very pretty piece. Might have to look for an oregon tort too (I was raise in oregon).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk