Baby clownfish

newbie2014

So 3 days ago I discovered that my pair of Clarkii had spawned. I got them from Petco about a year ago. I don't know if they've done it before, but I had noticed that sometimes they stayed behind the rock for a few days at a time. I just rearranged the rocks 2 days earlier. The eggs are between two RBTAs and facing the front.

I never really expect to see eggs because my tank is low maintenance; no sump, skimmer, GFO, nor GAC. I haven't changed water for 2 months, but I dose 20ml BRS 2-part every two days. I feed once a day, twice on weekend, with frozen mysis, clam and LRS reef frenzy. 

Now my question to those who have clownfish spawning often, what are the chances of having one or two babies surviving in a community reef tank?      

I had a pair that would spawn all the time. The babies would never survive and were eaten by everything in the tank I would imagine. 

However you could always put a removable tile in there and try to raise them outside of the tank. 

24 minutes ago, epleeds said:

I had a pair that would spawn all the time. The babies would never survive and were eaten by everything in the tank I would imagine. 

However you could always put a removable tile in there and try to raise them outside of the tank. 

From what I read online says the same things that baby clown fish need a lot of TLC to get them to survive. So, what happens in nature......what do they do to survive? Hiding in the anemone??? 

When I had my Australian Rainbow fish tank, I had a pair of A. Panduro. They spawned, and one of the fries survive to adulthood on its own even though there were a LOT of other fish in that same tank.

It would be sooooo cool to have at least one makes it...............;)   

Volume. The ocean is big. Also, it takes us humans a LOT of work to try to duplicate (in such small scale) that which is naturally occurring. Phyto, rotifers, pods, small food, the list goes on. Even still, an extraordinary few eggs survive to adult. Clownfish can easily spawn 500 eggs every two weeks. If even a few percent reached adulthood our oceans would be thick with clowns. 

13 hours ago, bues0022 said:

Also, it takes us humans a LOT of work to try to duplicate (in such small scale) that which is naturally occurring........................ 

Sounds ironic, but it's true. I guess it comes down predatory and food source availability. And that's why it boggled my mind the first time I saw the juvenile A. panduro hiding in the bushes of Java fern in my community tank.  

I hope I can keep providing the right environment for my clown to continue to spawn. And one day I would be pleasantly surprised by the present of a baby clown hiding in an anemone. Wishful thinking, perhaps...................:biggrin:

Thank you and Eric (epleeds) for the feedback.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:04 AM, newbie2014 said:

Sounds ironic, but it's true. I guess it comes down predatory and food source availability. And that's why it boggled my mind the first time I saw the juvenile A. panduro hiding in the bushes of Java fern in my community tank.  

I hope I can keep providing the right environment for my clown to continue to spawn. And one day I would be pleasantly surprised by the present of a baby clown hiding in an anemone. Wishful thinking, perhaps...................:biggrin:

Thank you and Eric (epleeds) for the feedback.

Food of the size required is not available for a clownfish larvae to survive in your tank. When breeding clownfish, you'll need to have a culture of rotifers going to feed them. And, to feed the rotifers, you'll need phytoplankton. Attached, you'll find a good summary document that's been around for more than 10 years about how to rear them.

raising_clownfish.pdf

Nice article. That’s something I’ve always wanted to do.  I planned on attempting to do the same with cleaner shrimps a while back, but the idea never materialized.  Maybe I’ll rehash that sometime.

PS….impossible for any babies to survive in a reef tank. Eggs must be removed and placed in a different tank, with air stone/heater only for about 3-4 weeks. Then they con be moved to a grow out tank with filtration.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, Origami said:

Food of the size required is not available for a clownfish larvae to survive in your tank. When breeding clownfish, you'll need to have a culture of rotifers going to feed them. And, to feed the rotifers, you'll need phytoplankton. Attached, you'll find a good summary document that's been around for more than 10 years about how to rear them.

raising_clownfish.pdf

Yeah, that’s the concensus I’ve been getting; that none will make it on its own. No big deal, I never intended to breed them anyway. I was actually shocked that, given the nature of my tank (KISS), they even spawned. 

Thank you for your feedback and a wonderful article. 

21 minutes ago, harticus5 said:

Feel free to ask me any questions....( I also have 9mo+ old clowns for sale)

What a coincidence.......I was gonna chime in on the quality of your (fish) babies on the For Sale thread. They’re fabulous. ?? And the price is more than fair. 

Too bad I can only have one pair at this time. When I’m in of a second pair, I will definitely check with you. 

23 minutes ago, harticus5 said:

PS….impossible for any babies to survive in a reef tank. Eggs must be removed and placed in a different tank, with air stone/heater only for about 3-4 weeks. Then they con be moved to a grow out tank with filtration.

Thank you for the tips.  I may make that (raising clownfish) a future project, when my kids are all grown. 

The more pressing concern at the moment is to move that neon green toadstool away from the RBTA. It has retracted for about 10 days now. I think it may have been harassed by the RBTA.