I need to replace an LED on a Reef Breeder fixture.

TonyInVa

I have a Reef Breeder fixture, an older model, that an LED burnt out. I bought it from a member and wish I could remember who, as I think he said he had thought he had spare bulbs. Has anyone replaced a bulb on a Reef Breeder or any other fixture? I assume they are all similar. I am not the best at soldering and this looks like it needs to be very neat and precise. The ones I have used are from Rapid LED and don't need to be too precise. If by chance, the person who sold me the lights, reads this and has spare bulbs, please contact me.

Post a picture of the LED and, if you have a part number for the fixture, post that, too. What color is the LED that's out?

I dont know the exact shade(NM) of blue, but it is one of the blues. Not sure of the size. Hopefully the picture will give someone more experienced a clue. Thanks in advance.76db3a2a4b2cc2f64d92c2aaf4c32edd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Should be an easy fix. It's probably a 3W LED, but can you confirm that with either a model number or the rated power divided by the number of LEDs on the board?

I've got some extra 445-455 nm (royal blue) and 460-470 nm (blue) LEDs in the 3W size. You really need to know the wattage because that sets the current requirement. Is there a model number or power rating on the light?

Three things you need to know about this repair: First, you should have some rudimentary knowledge of how to desolder and solder without burning out the pads or forming a cold solder joint. A nice rosin core solder or flux can help you do a good job. Second, you're going to want a small amount of Arctic Silver or some other thermal paste to put under the LED to conduct heat generated in the LED to the heatsink mounting surface. If you don't do this, the LED life will be considerably shortened. And finally, LEDs are polar, two terminal devices: They have positive (anode) end and a negative (cathode) end. The LED only operates in one direction and must be in the circuit in the right direction. The negative terminal can often be distinguised from the positive terminal by some distinctive mark. On discrete, leaded devices, this is often a mark or band on one end of the device. On these LEDs, it may be a small punch mark in one of the metal leads or a flattened edge of the body. Since these LED bodies are symmetrical, the difference is most likely going to be in the lead itself.

Anyway, once we get the wattage and color right, and you confirm that you're game to try the replacement, I can either mail the LED to you or, if you'll be at the meeting in a couple of weeks, we can just tag up then.

I have contacted Reef Breeders by email, phone(had to leave a message), and Facebook. I have not heard back from them. There does not seem to be a particular model number. It is a 24 in Reef Breeders Version 1. I cant find any information on it because their website only has the version 2. I believe that this particular bulb may have been replaced by the original owner. The soldering doesn't look the same as the others.

I have been not been able to confirm, but have been informed that the 24 inch Reef Breeders fixture uses a 3wt LED. It is a royal blue LED. I am having trouble finding a site that sells them that isn't in China and that won't take eternity to get to me.