Lowering Alk (And how did it get so high?!)

YHSublime

37 minutes ago, zygote2k said:

Stop chasing the numbers!

turn down the doser and let it fall through consumption.

when removing livestock, rock/clam, coral, consumption goes down and alk goes up.

I test weekly on most tanks and I’ll only change the doser when it strays too far out of normal range.

I have found that with dosing that the numbers rise and fall naturally and that when plotted, resembles a nice alpha wave.

Good advice, and what I have been doing for about 2 weeks now. 

I turned down the doser Jan 8th. I'm only dosing 5ml a day of each ESV solution. I have been holding steady at 9.5, as of the past week (7 days) the numbers have not changed. Good to know on rock, I didn't think about that, but have removed rock as well, so that explains some of my mystery. 

I haven't plotted my numbers, but I have been testing almost every day since October 18'. 

As this seems to be working, I'm going to slow down my testing and let it ride, thanks for the reminder. I think I'll have myself a beer. 

PS. I'm still switching salts to IO from RC. 

Hope your levels stabilize! But are you planning on switching to IO Sea Salt mainly to keep alk around 8.5? I just ask because every time you switch salts, your system will tak some time to get used to the changes.

1 minute ago, DFR said:

Hope your levels stabilize! But are you planning on switching to IO Sea Salt mainly to keep alk around 8.5? I just ask because every time you switch salts, your system will tak some time to get used to the changes.

Eventually. And it's cheaper. And I have been using a hodge podge of salts anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken Robs advice and let it ride, based on the presumption that I'll see a wave. I have tracking points since early August, and I guess will be able to graph them soon. I imagine if it weren't for my meddling, I would have seen even better growth instead of chasing numbers. What I have visibly seen over the past 3 weeks has been another boom in growth. I have seen rapid encrusting, increased polyp extension, and definitely coral growth. I will continue to track weekly instead of daily, and make adjustments as needed. I have swapped back to IO, but no water changes yet.