Is this a Colorado Sunburst ?

Tommy

Well, first you have to find somebody that will actually tell you what are the defining factors of a CSB. Usually the answer is, "you'll know." Based of what I know, I'm going to have to say it's not. 95% of the time, it's usually a rainbow. 

Thanks guys , I knew it was a long shot but than  I don't know what Colorado Sunburst looks like,  some of the pics online looks completely different and other looks exactly like what I have.  

(edited)

Just Google bro, the pictures on Google vary so much from one to the other it looks like they all diff species ..lol.  But now I am pretty sure mine is not a CSB nem.  Thanks all. 

Edited by Tommy

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Just Google bro, the pictures on Google vary so much from one to the other it looks like they all diff species ..lol.  But now I am pretty sure mine is not a CSB nem.  Thanks all. 

Just to be technically clear: The Colorado Sunburst Anemone is not a different species. It's a color variation (or strain or breed) of Entacmaea quadricolor - what we also call a "bubble tip anemone." The CSB is the same species as GBTAs and RBTAs. We have a habit in the hobby of naming strains by exotic names, which can help differentiate one strain from another, tell you something of the origin of the strain (i.e. pedigree), or just simply boost the price by casting the appearance of rarity on a specimen. 

The original CSB dates from 2010/11 or thereabouts. It had a greenish oral disk and bright orange- to yellow orange-tipped tentacles. Here's a nice example taken from a 2013 posting of ReefEdition. Easy on the eyes, huh?

coloradosunburst_zpsca83b177-600x450.jpg

Jake Adams of Reef Builders also posted a story about them in 2011 with this picture showing a rose BTA (retracted somewhat) and a CSB. Jake lives in the Denver area and was close to the epicenter of the source of the strain that spread far and wide.

rose-sunburst-anemone.jpg

It's hard to say if all the specimens being sold are traceable to the original CSB or if the name has just become a generic for BTAs with a similar appearance to the original CSB. 

James Fatherree (a recent WAMAS speaker) wrote an article on BTAs back in 2010 that noted the wide range of colors saying, "BTAs come in a range of colors from brown to green and orangish to red, with the red ones often being called rose anemones." So the large range of color variation in the strains of the species has been known for a long time.

I have kept legit ones twice. They didn’t grow at all. Eventually died. Meanwhile my other bubble tips were growing and splitting like crazy. I won’t be buying another. However I think I have the same one you have pictured tommy, in the store I thought it had potential to be one. As soon as I got it home in my lights I knew it wasn’t. But it’s my fav nem and I’m going to enjoy the daylights out of it.

Here it is a few days ago! The pink tip there is the giveaway that it’s not a sunburst. My sunburst had yellow or bright orange tip 54540a0a784108a5eb594dfacfe470a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Take my money already. ..How much ?

Quick request: Since we're in General Discussion, take any sales talk to PM or to a members-only area.

I agree, though, it's an eyecatcher!

12 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I got cha Tom....iIs just a joke to my buddy BK_market ..lol.  I do not need another BTA.  

But it's such a looker. You're sure that you don't need/want it? :biggrin: