Coral Dipping - What have you tried?

RW09903

Other than the commercially available products such as Revive, Coral RX, etc... what have you tried for dipping corals (softies, LPS, and SPS)? From Bayer (which I use) to H2O2, or Dettol to Melafix, it seems like people are willing to try anything these days. Sucess stories and failures are all welcome.

I dipped my zoas just recently with a really aggressive one-two punch. 

15 minutes in a solution of 90% RO water, 10% HP (the regular HP from walmart), followed by a swish in iodine water (2 drops of betadine (which is I believe 10% Iodine compared to Lugols which is somewhere around 2-3% I believe) in 2 cups of tank water), followed by swishing in the HP solution, then back in tank. The zoas didn't open up for almost 2 weeks, and the ones that looked rough before the dip completely melted away.

I'm not sure I'd go that aggressive again. I think 15 minutes was too long.

I've used iodine, FW for some softies, diluted hydrogen peroxide, and Bayer. Also Revive, Coral Rx and Tropic Marin's Coral Cure. I've not tried the melafix dip (yet).

When starting out in the hobby, I tried dipping some SPS in freshwater. Killed a lot as some SPS is very sensitive to this sort of abuse. Newbie error.  Not recommended! 

Bayer has worked for me. The club gave out small samples at one of the meetings years ago and when I tried it I was impressed by what fell off the frags I had and have never looked back.

No bad experiences with it killing the corals either.

22 minutes ago, Matt LeBaron said:

Bayer has worked for me. The club gave out small samples at one of the meetings years ago and when I tried it I was impressed by what fell off the frags I had and have never looked back.

No bad experiences with it killing the corals either.

Glad that you liked those little bottles of Bayer. I purchased empty bottles and filled them at home. I still have a few, in fact. ;-)

We made those available at Mike Henley's talk on reef pests in 2012. Anybody interested in this thread will want to take a look at this thread, too which will provide you with the slides that Mike provided at that talk. Again, this is before the Melafix approach for treating AEFW.

Bayer is my standard go to. I've done hydrogen peroxide and NSW for zoanthids, but never fresh water. I've done as much as up to 50% HP and NSW for upwards of 15 minutes. 

10 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

New salt water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haah. I read it as natural sea water.