Wrasse for Pyramidellid snails in 30 gallon tank?

bues0022

Hey guys, I think I just found some Pyramidellid snails in my tank this afternoon. My tank is small, 30 gallons, and the infestation looks light at the moment so manual removal has started and is a feasible early control method. However, I’d like suggestions on a wrasse to add to help with control. My tank is peaceful (firefish, hectors goby, pair of clowns, peppermint and cleaner shrimp, and soon a diamond goby), what are some suggestions of what will be an interesting and effective addition to the tank??

Edited by bues0022

I think I read somewhere that melanarus wrasses and other halichores would eat them.  The only problem is that they’ll likely go after your other inverts as well.  If manageable, your best method may be to continue with manual removal.

Juice isn't worth the squeeze IMO. You can't specifically have a wrasse go after things in particular. It may not even touch them, or it could take out all your inverts. I agree with DFR, manual removal is probably best. 

1 hour ago, YHSublime said:

Juice isn't worth the squeeze IMO. You can't specifically have a wrasse go after things in particular. It may not even touch them, or it could take out all your inverts. I agree with DFR, manual removal is probably best. 

Agreed.  Also, do you have tridachnid clams or something else that the pyramidellids will parasitize?  Otherwise, you may as well ignore them.

The Pyramidellid snails are attacking my snails in my CUC. I had a few emails with Bob over at WWM. He helped me listen to myself.  It broke down like this: 1) wrasses that typically eat Pyramidellid snails grow too large for my tank. 2) wrasses that typically eat Pyramidellid snails will also put at risk my ornamental shrimp and CUC. (You can find pro/con stories on EVERY wrasse in this category for eating shrimp). 3) wrasses which are appropriate for my tank (such as the possum wrasses) won’t tough Pyramidellid snails, so while a neat inhabitant, it won’t “fix” the issue. 4) snails are nocturnal and are good hiders, so a diurnal fish which eats them won’t get to them all, but may just keep numbers low. 5) I have no intention of adding a clam (ca/all requirements require more maintenance in this small tank than I want), so I’d be looking at buying a ~$50 fish, and putting another $50 in shrimp at risk, just to try to save $5 worth of CUC snails??? Dumb move. 

Over the the course of the last few days I figured all of this out already, but hearing it from both him and now you guys has solidified that I’m just going to keep removing them as I see them, triple check any frags I give/sell to ensure I don’t spread them, and just let em be. 

The Pyramidellid snails are attacking my snails in my CUC. I had a few emails with Bob over at WWM. He helped me listen to myself.  It broke down like this: 1) wrasses that typically eat Pyramidellid snails grow too large for my tank. 2) wrasses that typically eat Pyramidellid snails will also put at risk my ornamental shrimp and CUC. (You can find pro/con stories on EVERY wrasse in this category for eating shrimp). 3) wrasses which are appropriate for my tank (such as the possum wrasses) won’t tough Pyramidellid snails, so while a neat inhabitant, it won’t “fix” the issue. 4) snails are nocturnal and are good hiders, so a diurnal fish which eats them won’t get to them all, but may just keep numbers low. 5) I have no intention of adding a clam (ca/all requirements require more maintenance in this small tank than I want), so I’d be looking at buying a ~$50 fish, and putting another $50 in shrimp at risk, just to try to save $5 worth of CUC snails??? Dumb move. 

Over the the course of the last few days I figured all of this out already, but hearing it from both him and now you guys has solidified that I’m just going to keep removing them as I see them, triple check any frags I give/sell to ensure I don’t spread them, and just let em be. 

Good on ya! Glad you got there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk