Do I need a new tank?

Sharkey18

The silicon on the INSIDE of my aquarium has been peeling off. As it separates I've just been trimming it off and removing it. 

My question is how indicative is this of an imminent failure and /or leaking? There is no evidence of leaks at his time. 

I believe the interior silicone corner bead is mostly there to protect the structural silicone that goes between the panes of glass.  If the entire bead is peeling off, then i'd take a close look at the part sandwiched between the glass panes on the corners to make sure there didn't seem to be any bubbling to indicate imminent leaks.  I'd also be more worried if it's a rimless tank than if it has trim on top and bottom.

I think it started from cleaning the glass and then of course each time I clean the glass I make it worse. 

It's a euro-braced tank. Its Leishman's old deep dimension 250 so it's been around a while but nor sure exactly how old it is. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

I think AlanM is right.  I'm not a tank builder, but most everything I've read supports the idea that all the structural integrity comes from the silicone butt joint between the two panels.  The fillet of silicone inside the tank is a pretty way to finish the sealant, and adds little, if any structural strength.

My observations support this.  I removed glass corner overflows in my current tank.  It was easy to scrape off the fillet of silicone on the inside corners.  Once that silicone was gone, it was extremely difficult to cut away the silicone joint and separate the overflow from the tank.  Those seals were 0.25" glass.  Yours are twice as thick, and maybe twice as strong.

16 hours ago, Sharkey18 said:

Do I need a new tank? 

Who doesn't?  Seriously though, I think your tank is safe.  But it's also a good idea to always think about how you'd do things "next time", so you can make improvements when those opportunities come up.

Thanks Jon.... 

It's so funny because I am both relieved and disappointed!

I am going to start planning the new tank though. I hate my over flows and am plagued with micro bubbles from my returns. 

1 hour ago, Sharkey18 said:

I hate my over flows and am plagued with micro bubbles from my returns. 

I debated for a long time about removing my corner overflows, drilling, and installing a low-profile.  I knew I'd like the look, but I hated the extra time and effort I knew it would take.

I am SO glad I did remove them.  The look of the tank was absolutely worth it, and the new overflow is a zillion times quieter than my old durso.

2 hours ago, Sharkey18 said:

Thanks Jon.... 

It's so funny because I am both relieved and disappointed!

I am going to start planning the new tank though. I hate my over flows and am plagued with micro bubbles from my returns. 

When I had the 180, I was able to have a custom solution put together, as the tank had overflows like yours did, but I wanted a coast to coast. ERC facilitated it with the now shut down Aquabox, but I have to imagine you could find somebody who could help CNC or build one! It was held on by the bulkheads, and I drilled additional holes to support the weight. You can read about it here if you don't remember!

Yeah: right now my overflows are two, 2.5 inch PVC elbows. 

Since I have a bare bottom tank I have a lot of flow that keeps most of the detritus suspended, but as it is now the detritus particles have to find their way into about 5 inches of space before they settle or get caught in the rock work. I would love a coast to coast that pulled more liberally along the top. 

I'm reviewing your posts Isaac!